Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mollymunchkins
New Member!
Female 

06-08-2012, 06:15 AM

Molly's operation aftercare

Hi all

My lovely Yorkie Molly has to have an operation on her knee cap this Wednesday for a Luxating Patella. The vet said she will need gentle exercise and Molly will let me know when she want's to walk etc. Anyone out there who has experienced this with their dog and can offer me any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-08-2012, 08:53 AM
My dog has had the operation on both of her back legs

The advice from SB is great, definitely follow that. As far as knowing when to walk again, Molly was kept on crate rest for 6 weeks & kept on lead whenever out of the crate for the first 2 weeks. At about 5 weeks she was starting to want to walk around the garden & the vet gave us the go ahead to give gentle walking a try. We started with very short walks around the garden first, then at 6 weeks, a little walk up to the park. No running, just walking nicely on the lead. Gradually we kept an eye on her leg & began to increase her walking & get back into her usual routine.

The problem I found is that my dog is very much on the go all the time and won't recognise when she needs to stop. If your dog is the same, make sure you're not letting her walk too much because it seems like she wants to keep going. I thought of it like puppies & just did a few short walks as opposed to one long walk, with lots of training throughout the day to keep her occupied.

Hope your dog recovers quickly
Mollymunchkins
New Member!
Female 

07-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post

The advice from SB is great, definitely follow that. As far as knowing when to walk again, Molly was kept on crate rest for 6 weeks & kept on lead whenever out of the crate for the first 2 weeks. At about 5 weeks she was starting to want to walk around the garden & the vet gave us the go ahead to give gentle walking a try. We started with very short walks around the garden first, then at 6 weeks, a little walk up to the park. No running, just walking nicely on the lead. Gradually we kept an eye on her leg & began to increase her walking & get back into her usual routine.

The problem I found is that my dog is very much on the go all the time and won't recognise when she needs to stop. If your dog is the same, make sure you're not letting her walk too much because it seems like she wants to keep going. I thought of it like puppies & just did a few short walks as opposed to one long walk, with lots of training throughout the day to keep her occupied.

Thanks for the advice and tips they were very useful. I will keep you informed about Molly's progress. Thanks again
Mollymunchkins
New Member!
Female 

07-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post

Thanks for the advice and tips they were very useful. I will keep you informed about Molly's progress. Thanks again