25-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Hahahahahahaha poor Louie!!!
His own fault he eats to quick..
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Do you manage ok feeding rabbits with fur etc when you have them?

I want to get rabbits like that for Jake, but I'm not sure if I can handle it Especially because they are so big, I would need to half them... I am sure I would eventually get used to it, like I got used to hacking up chickens But still, wondered how you find it...
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Do you manage ok feeding rabbits with fur etc when you have them?

I want to get rabbits like that for Jake, but I'm not sure if I can handle it Especially because they are so big, I would need to half them... I am sure I would eventually get used to it, like I got used to hacking up chickens But still, wondered how you find it...
I just got over it, I cut it up using a saw, cut half way through then got bored so got the sledge hammer to it.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 06:21 PM
I feed rabbits with fur, but I do gut them. I only feed half at a time as the rabbits are big. I let them semi defrost, cut through them with a sharp knife from the belly down. When I hit the spine, don't cut it, just snap it trust me, it's easier than trying to saw through it. I then freeze them fully.

Also if you gut them semi defrosted, the guts tend to pop out in a frozen lump. If you try and do it fully defrosted, it stinky and it's messy, generally foul

I just wear rubber gloves and try not to look Peter in the face
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Go Pennie!

I have 4 (live!) pet rabbits and have fed Teg furry rabbits before, he isn't keen so I don't tend to bother anymore.
I gutted it while mostly frozen then got my dad to saw it up, same as the lamb ribs
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I just got over it, I cut it up using a saw, cut half way through then got bored so got the sledge hammer to it.
I used to be so squeamish when I first started cutting up chickens, so I guess I would get over the same as that...

Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I feed rabbits with fur, but I do gut them. I only feed half at a time as the rabbits are big. I let them semi defrost, cut through them with a sharp knife from the belly down. When I hit the spine, don't cut it, just snap it trust me, it's easier than trying to saw through it. I then freeze them fully.

Also if you gut them semi defrosted, the guts tend to pop out in a frozen lump. If you try and do it fully defrosted, it stinky and it's messy, generally foul

I just wear rubber gloves and try not to look Peter in the face
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
Go Pennie!

I have 4 (live!) pet rabbits and have fed Teg furry rabbits before, he isn't keen so I don't tend to bother anymore.
I gutted it while mostly frozen then got my dad to saw it up, same as the lamb ribs
I think the semi-frozen sounds good Why do you gut them? And, if you gut them, does it mean you don't need to do the worming so often/at all (if you don't anyway)?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I used to be so squeamish when I first started cutting up chickens, so I guess I would get over the same as that...
I do mine when they're frozen, I have this thing about raw meat, and floppy meat - it scares me (Where's Leanne? Put that one in on purpose)

But seriously - walking in the butchers makes me feel a bit ick.. so the rabbits are dealt with frozen, defrosted carcasses are dealt with by BBQ tongs. I'm weird.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Luna had a bit of deer bone this morning. I forgot to take the camera out, untill she was almost done

But her she is. The blanket is her bone-blanket, and its where she goes to eat, so I had to bring it outside, or else she would have stayed inside

Miss Goofy

madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Merf with a fresh pigs ear (99p for 2)
[/IMG]
The grass kept sticking to it so she kept shaking it

And with half a rabbit Madison had the other half but she wont eat on camera
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Being vegetarian i am not a raw feeder,my boy has it out a tin(butchers), but know of people that do raw feed and keeping pet rabbits that would definitely be a no go,i dont even buy tinned food that flavour - personal choice.
Page 17 of 20 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 >