View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 11:49 AM
I cooked up a roast duck this weekend for our dinner, but used all the giblets for stock... I didn't like to give the neck after it had been boiled for fear of bones and so shared out the boiled giblets between the dogs on their kibble.

I'm never sure how much to take out of their regular meal for these 'specials'

After reading all the raw food suggestions on here I have started to give Selkie and kismet frozen whitefish fillets, but how much of their regular food should this replace... They're both big dogs, 25-30kg... So how much raw food is enough raw food?

Pharaoh wont touch anything raw. Even as a treat.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I finaly persuaded OH to stop feeding chicken legs because I thought the splinters were likely to cause damge internally. She now feeds them cooked chicken and turkey necks.

Please tell me turkey & chicken necks will not become impacted inside the dog.
Cooked bones will be more dried out and run the risk of splinters. Raw chicken legs are fine to feed, as are raw chicken or turkey necks, never cooked though.

Impaction can occour when too much bone is fed. The odd bone now and again shouldn't produce any problems in the average healthy dog. A good rule of thumb is if the poops are coming out whitish the dog is eating too much bone.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. My 2 have just had another bone each, I'm amazed at the speed that Milo can finish off a decent sized bone in!!
I've seen some dreadful internal damage from cooked bones, so please everyone steer well clear of them.
tonifletcher
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-09-2008, 03:15 PM
i always thought chicken bones could cause alot of harm to ur dog thats what v always been told is this not true? as i have always thrown them away!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by tonifletcher View Post
i always thought chicken bones could cause alot of harm to ur dog thats what v always been told is this not true? as i have always thrown them away!
I believe that myth has grown from when people used to give teh sunday left overs to dogs. Certainly cooked chicken bones can do damage. Raw chicken bones are fine.
tonifletcher
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-09-2008, 04:03 PM
oh right never knew that never been 1 to feed my boys raw meat it would cost me an arm and a leg espec how quickly the rottie gets through bones and that!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by tonifletcher View Post
oh right never knew that never been 1 to feed my boys raw meat it would cost me an arm and a leg espec how quickly the rottie gets through bones and that!
I don't know how it would work out for a rottie, but raw feeding my two works out a little cheaper than when I fed them on Burns.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
I don't know how it would work out for a rottie, but raw feeding my two works out a little cheaper than when I fed them on Burns.
I've been feeding raw meaty bones for two years now and have only just heard of the prey model diet. I used to feed BARF but then I reduced the veggies so they are now just a treat. I feed muscle meat in the form of economy mince (beef and pork). what other muscle meats can I get on a budget?
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Chicken/turkey? This would be especially cheap if you bought whole birds yourself and jointed and minced them at home.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Most of what I buy comes from the supermarket, cos we don't have the likes of landywoods etc in northern ireland.
I buy from the reduced counter, the value chicken pieces, value lamb chops and pork chops (removing the wee bit of cut bone from the chops first) turkey drumsticks.

Oily fish from the fish counter, usually whatever is the best price there. Generally I keep an eye out for the most cost effective things to buy and snap up any offers.

I also get pigs heads from my butcher (really cheap and lots of feeding in them) as well as liver, kidney and heart (from various types of animals, usually pig or cow).

Green Tripe chunks from the freezers in PAH.

I also get value beef mince from the supermarket. I use this for their kongs when I'm heading out. Otherwise I'm not a huge fan of mince. I'd rather their teeth gain the benfits from ripping and tearing the meat from the bone as much as possible. It's also a great way to keep them occupied for awhile.

HTH
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >