View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 12:56 PM
As well as the above mentioned possibilities, do you use shake and vac by any chance?

Mo
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 12:56 PM
No, it was never the same foot with Georgie either, just seemed to be one, then another after that cleared up, but don't forget, a lot of it is self inflicted coz it's all itchy. If it's not the wet, then maybe it could be something fungal? I don't think putting on a bit of that anti fungal before the Sudocreme would do any harm? Are the feet all red between the toes? Do they feel especially warm in the one he's favouring as opposed to a good one? If so, then something's infecting it, either bacterial or fungal I would have thought. Good luck anyways. That Hibiscrub will kill just about everything, so if something nasty is lurking, it will get rid of it anyways, and it's very cheap from over the counter at Boots, or Sainsbury's do it, but it's called something else now in there, can't remember what though!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
As well as the above mentioned possibilities, do you use shake and vac by any chance?

Mo
No we don't use anything like that on the carpets but well thought of as I can imagine something like that could irritate a dogs feet.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 01:23 PM
just a quick warning on Sudacrem...I do still use it but am far more careful about how much and which parts of the dog's body I use it on after I read this post saying that if the dogs lick the cream it can cause a build up of zinc which can cause liver problems.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...39#post1723739

I presume they would have to lick quite a lot, but its worth bearing in mind.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
He's on JWB fish and rice which we swapped him onto a month ago but he chewed his feet before this when he was on Oscars. He's not overweight at all really.

He's definitely not chewing his nails as I can see him getting his teeth right between the pads. between Pads are maybe a little red but I guess this is due to him constantly chewing them. The pads aren't cracked at all.
It takes 6 weeks to get food through the system. So still could be food related. What does he have for titbits?

rune
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 02:13 PM
My Lab had this problem a couple of years ago. I took him to the vets for a skin scraping and it turned out to be mites. I can't remember what type of mite it was but he gave me some cream to apply and it cleared up quickly. Haven't had a problem since. He licked his paws red raw then, now they are fine.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
It takes 6 weeks to get food through the system. So still could be food related. What does he have for titbits?

rune
he usually just has gravy bones or JWB treats, nothing fancy really. He will sometimes have potatoes and veg mixed in if I've cooked too much but it's always plain steamed veg.

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
My Lab had this problem a couple of years ago. I took him to the vets for a skin scraping and it turned out to be mites. I can't remember what type of mite it was but he gave me some cream to apply and it cleared up quickly. Haven't had a problem since. He licked his paws red raw then, now they are
fine.
I think I'm going to take him to the vets next week after looking into some of the suggestions given. How long did you leave it before you took your lab to the vets?? Monty has been chewing his feet like this for months now.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
just a quick warning on Sudacrem...I do still use it but am far more careful about how much and which parts of the dog's body I use it on after I read this post saying that if the dogs lick the cream it can cause a build up of zinc which can cause liver problems.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...39#post1723739

I presume they would have to lick quite a lot, but its worth bearing in mind.
I'd better tell my vets about that one coz the vet nurses down there swear by the stuff! I'm off to Google coz I can't believe what one person has said on Dogsey about that quite honestly, I use gallons of Sudocreme and always have, even though my dog licks it off sometimes, and I'm sure they must have to eat a whole bit tub of it for it to cause liver problems imo!

To clear the zinc thing up then!
QUOTE: "In dogs, normal dietary concentrations of zinc are ~80 to 120 ppm on a dry weight basis.3 There is no known minimal toxic dose for metallic zinc. The lowest dose of zinc salts that causes death in 50% of exposed animals exposed (LD50) is approximately 100 mg/kg of body weight in cases of acute toxicity. Chronic toxicosis in cattle has occurred " unquote. So in the case of my Georgie, he would have to eat 5,500 mgs of zinc itself (he weighs 55kgs) so that equates to quite a few tubs of the stuff in one go then!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'd better tell my vets about that one coz the vet nurses down there swear by the stuff! I'm off to Google coz I can't believe what one person has said on Dogsey about that quite honestly, I use gallons of Sudocreme and always have, even though my dog licks it off sometimes, and I'm sure they must have to eat a whole bit tub of it for it to cause liver problems imo!
Well it hasn't stopped me using it on mine, but I do watch that they can't lick loads of it up.

I've just googled too and found this, which seems to support the information, although we are still no nearer knowing how much would be too much for them to ingest.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/zinc-to...ogs/page1.aspx

ETA oh darn, I can't do the link for some reason

petplace dot com dogs zinc-toxicity-in-dogs
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
he usually just has gravy bones or JWB treats, nothing fancy really. He will sometimes have potatoes and veg mixed in if I've cooked too much but it's always plain steamed veg.

I think I'm going to take him to the vets next week after looking into some of the suggestions given. How long did you leave it before you took your lab to the vets?? Monty has been chewing his feet like this for months now.
After I noticed the raw-ness. I didn't think anything of him nibbling at his feet until it got a bit excessive. It was only after I actually had a look at them that I saw they were nasty. So maybe a couple of weeks from when he first started doing it.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >