Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
I highly doubt Bakers or anything else is a bad as some say. There is very little logic and facts to all the food bashing on the net. , http://www.longliveyourdog.com/twoplus/RateYourDog.aspx
I base my experince of dog food on the facts that present themselved daily in my training classes.

There is no doubt in my mind that bakers in particular, brings about hyper behaviour and even aggressive behaviour in SOME dogs. Not all, for sure.

I am so convinved that I will not even see a Bakers fed, behaviour consultation, unless the dog has been taken off bakers for at least three weeks. Often behaviour problems resolve themselves once the diet is changed and the customer never needs me, which is great - more time in the sun
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2009, 03:59 PM
I understand how irritating the continual "food scares" wether they be human or dog food, are. I am an advocate of taking no notice of what media and publicity campaigns say. But when facts present themselves to ME first hand, repeatedly, or to anyone I know to be properly able to judge and assess and whose opinion I respect, then I take note.

The fact that we "FORCE" our dogs, to eat whatever we deem as their food - thy have no opportunity for natural scavenging their needs - then I think it crucial that we are suitably informed and that we take great care in being thoroughly educated, feedinwise, for their benefit.

Feeding any highly processed highkly cooked food, that continains the same ingredients over and over again, is BOUND to determine how well and fit and healthy that dog is. What else can have such a great impact?

Personally I think it is possibly the single most important repsponsibility of dog ownership to ensure that that food, does really have all the dog needs and doesnt have anything the dog is not going to benefit it, or worse, is detremental to its health and behaviour.

Would you eat the SAME food day in day out, if the packet or the cmmercial told you that it was perfectly balanced, nutritionally complete and good for you??? Would you trust that judgment even if your skin was scaly, or dry, or excessivly oile, or your mental processes impaired or warped, or your joints breaking down?
Dragan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2009, 04:07 PM
i can say as well that bakers makes some dogs hyper no end.
i have my own BC which i feed on wainwrights since we got her..
a couple of days ago i got her sister as a foster and she was fed on bakers. she is so what of hyper...
i change her food to wainwrights as well and she is getting slowly "down"
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 04:59 PM
can't remember where i aquired this from, think its ireland as they have to list the ingredients in dog food just like they do in food

all i do no is that Tartrazine, sunset yellow and carbon black are all banned in foods for people because it has been scientifically proved that they cause hyperactivity in kids, so why feed it to our dogs.

In my experience fostering, all the dogs that have come in on bakers have had some degree of OCD or hyperness, pacing, drinking lots, being unable to settle, bug eyes i take them off it and a week or so later they are different dogs.
mandydog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-06-2009, 06:04 PM
All based on speculation.
None of this is based on speculation - it is based on fact.

You would happily feed it to your dogs, I take it? I wish you could, to see the harm it causes.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 06:12 PM
I don't think Baker's is available here. All I really know about it is that I see the same people saying the same things about well proven foods. Since they are wrong about Pro Plan, Iams, Science diet, Purina, etc, why should anybody belief what they say about Bakers?
I wouldn't say no to feeding any of those foods to my dog, if it wasn't for the ethical issues or there being better, cheaper foods available. Bakers is in a different league to them. We had a gsd pup fed on Bakers at the vets the other week, mad as a march hare, the owner was told to try switching his food and he was a different pup by the next week... Surely it can't be a coincidence that so many dogs are affected in this way, given that Lizzy23 has now also pointed out that they use hyperactivity causing colourings?
I wasn't speculating earlier either, the Burns ingredients were from their website and the Bakers ones were from a site that sells them online (couldn't find the ingredients on Baker's own site for some reason )
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
can't remember where i aquired this from, think its ireland as they have to list the ingredients in dog food just like they do in food

all i do no is that Tartrazine, sunset yellow and carbon black are all banned in foods for people because it has been scientifically proved that they cause hyperactivity in kids, so why feed it to our dogs.

In my experience fostering, all the dogs that have come in on bakers have had some degree of OCD or hyperness, pacing, drinking lots, being unable to settle, bug eyes i take them off it and a week or so later they are different dogs.
The colourants!

NOBODY can say that those are necessary ingredients in dog food.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Im glad everyone has mentioned the negative side of feeding bakers, thanks. im going to definately take jake off it, going to pick james wellbeloved and gradually change what he is on so my poor boy doesnt get an upset tummy. it probably makes me really ignorant but i have never realised how bad some foods can be, i always just assumed that if they were allowed to get sold they were ok to get eaten. know thats not the case now though so jake will only be getting good food from now on . are ones like wagg bad as well? i always like to mix his food with a tin of wet food to make it tastier for him and not as dry so its easier to eat, are these all ok to feed him?

lauren
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm another with experiance of a dog fed on Bakers. When I adopted Archie he was given to me with a bag of it. He was bouncing off the walls, terrible coat etc as well as bowel problems.

I changed him to Burns and there was a marked improvement in him. Later he was changed to raw and he went from better to best.

I would never feed an animal the kr@p in a bag that is Bakers tbh. Glad you are making the change.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 05:55 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
The colourants!

NOBODY can say that those are necessary ingredients in dog food.

They're not, that is to make it look more appealing to us!! coincidentally, i had a 7 month old sprocker come in on Tesco's puppy food, came in because the owner couldn't cope with her, she was the only foster i have ever had to use a crate for, for time out because she was bouncing off the walls. Looked at the food which she was still being fed four times a day ('was starting to look like a coffee table) and it was a hand full of yellow, red and green, and all it said on the bag was "ec permitted colourings and preservatives" because thats all they have to list in this country.

I took her off it and put her straight onto skinners, and by the time she went to her new home, she was responsive, settled well and was a joy to have around.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >