Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2008, 04:58 AM

Agility Idea

I've just had an idea ! I was just replying to a PM from Westie_N and think I have come up with a solution to my ability to continue with Missy's agility training . I had to stop going to agility in November as I had severe pain in my back. Of course I started feeling very down about this as Missy enjoyed the training and was proving to be very good at it. It turns out that I have degeneration (osteoarthritis) of my spine . All was doom and gloom , and I just kept thinking of all the things I couldn't do anymore. Now , if I get a Mobility Scooter , not only will I be able to take Missy for decent walks again , but I will also be able to start agility training with her again ! . Obviously , I'd need to give her time to get used to the scooter , ( just think of all the treats I could fit in a basket on the front ) , but then I could contact the training club I went to and see if I could start again with a basic agility class and work on from there. Does anyone know if you're allowed to do agility competitions with a mobility scooter ? I've seen people showing their dogs from them. God I'm so happy . I'm off to look on ebay now .
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 08:19 AM
I think they'd be hard pushed to not allow you as it would go against the Disability Act. I just think you will have to really work hard at distance control because I don't think you'd be able to whizz round so fast on a scooter as you would running but don't give up go for it.
Becky
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 08:47 AM
I would hope you could do it, keeping my fingers crossed for you x
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Don't see why you couldn't do it!

I mean, don't working sheepdogs follow commands from a distance?
Would whistle commands be allowed?

Good luck with your efforts x
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-03-2008, 09:51 AM
hi,

There is a lady that competes in a mobility scooter that i've seen. I've seen her several times, especially at uka shows. Hope you can find a scooter and get back training soon. Take care
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 09:56 AM
hi

sounds like a plan - i saw one advertised on gumtree about 3 weeks ago - it might be worth a look to see if still there !!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Chairs/scooters are indeed allowed and there is a Disabled Handlers League which gives info on which venues have really good facilities and access, and contact opportunities to get in touch with members who can give tips on handling from a chair/scooter

http://www.disabledhandlersassociation.com/index.html

HTH
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2008, 04:21 AM
Thanks everyone for all the support . I'm definitely going to give it a go. I'm on the lookout for a scooter now , even just so that I can get Missy out for decent walks again instead of just half hour walks, (which would normally take 15 - 20 minutes), to the little park nearby. I'd need to get something road legal as there are loads of good walks off the country roads around here. I think the better scooters go at 8mph but then that's designed for road/pavement use. I am also considering a road legal quad bike then I could really go cross country. I might need to change my car (again , I got an estate just for Missy), or get a towbar put on this one if it's sound enough. It's going into the garage tomorrow so I'll ask them about it. As soon as Missy is confident walking out with the scooter / quad , then I'll do some extra training with her so she gets the idea that the scooter doesn't just mean she runs along beside it. I may even ask a trainer ( Shona ? ) to come here and give me some private lessons. Once Missy will "work" both beside and away from the scooter , then I'll start thinking about agility training. She's already good at lefts and rights out walking , and recently , I've been teaching her "wait for me". (That's when she gets so far ahead , I shout "wait for me" and she stops where she is until I catch up.) It looks like I've got a lot to think about now , instead of worrying about what I can't do .
Leema
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-03-2008, 04:57 AM
Sounds fantastic! I really hope you can find a scooter and get busy with Missy again!

If you have ever seen Greg Derret's video (http://www.gtagility.com/) then you can see that Greg's dog can complete courses on verbal cues only! So it's definitely possible!

If you find the traininglevels list on Yahoo Groups, there is a number of individuals with disabilities on the list that are still active in dog training. They are pretty keen on free shaping there! But I am sure they will have a lot of advice and suggestions for you if you find you get stuck.