Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
Whoa, 23. That is amazing, good genes huh. Can I guess she was a cross?
no, she was BC. Mom and dad plus they pups were in a shed set on fire by 'upset' boyfriend, Mom and two pups rescued, other pup L8tr died, mom too injured to rear. Mom found brill home L8tr after intense care. we kept Meg...
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Omg has this thread got heated or what? All I wanted to know was who fed canned!!! There are thousands of dogs in this country and someone must feed them this "rubbish" My Nans dog lived to 17 on Chunky and Mixer and that was ALL she would eat and yes she had a choice!! But hey thats BC's for you !! Jamie is on canned, Butchers, he cant tolerate Pedigree.... He also has other food including lamb chops and veg!! Maybe this is not everyones choice, but he is my baby and he aint doing too bad.... and no I would not feed my child takeaways! He can have Butchers and lump it
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by petticoat74 View Post
Omg has this thread got heated or what? All I wanted to know was who fed canned!!! There are thousands of dogs in this country and someone must feed them this "rubbish" My Nans dog lived to 17 on Chunky and Mixer and that was ALL she would eat and yes she had a choice!! But hey thats BC's for you !! Jamie is on canned, Butchers, he cant tolerate Pedigree.... He also has other food including lamb chops and veg!! Maybe this is not everyones choice, but he is my baby and he aint doing too bad.... and no I would not feed my child takeaways! He can have Butchers and lump it
Good for you Claire, carry on as long as they're healthy and happy.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by petticoat74 View Post
So.... who does feed canned if so many people are against it? Or am I just a bad, lazy owner? Sorry Jamie
Oh yes, you are terrible, the worst owner Jamie could ever wish for!

I bet you will find that there are a lot of people who do feed tins either occasionally or regularly but, seen as though this debate has become very heated in places, they are probably staying out of it.

Ultimately it is your decision what to feed your dog for what ever reasons; your dog likes it, your dog does well on it, it's available in your area, within your budget blah blah.

When we first rehomed Max we fed him a number of different foods, Chappie, Butchers, Pedigree Chum, Natures Best, James Wellbelloved and as mentioned at the beginning of this thread, Burns. Max did suffer quite a lot with mild - very serious bouts of vomiting and diarrhoea and that was why we eventually changed to Burns because a vet recommended it and the ingredients are the always same and it is a very good food. They have recently brought out a new canned food and yes I do feed it to Max. He gets fed Burns complete, Burns canned and Burns mixer and often has a homecooked meal for him.

If I only ever ate freshly prepared meals myself I would probably feel a little hypocritical feeding Max tinned food but I eat meals from tins and I eat ready meals. Are they as good for me as freshly prepared food? Unlikely. Will that stop me from eating them in the future? Unlikely.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 07:55 PM
I, personally, have never fed my dogs tinned food, and probably won't do in the future.

If only I was as strict with my own diet as I am with my dogs! These dogs are better fed than me.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Feeding seems to be as confusing as training

A lot of what I read, both here and in other places, suggests that tinned food is not all that good for dogs. But for a Boxer to last 12 years on the stuff, surely it can't be all that bad?
Hi Hammer yes it is a bit with everyone saying different things ...
I Haven't seen inside tinned food for years, much of it it used to contain a lot of gelatine and little substance but it may be better these days.
My vet always says Chappie is very good.

Whatever you feed there will always be someone to disagree, I personally wouldn't want to feed raw, I would worry about bone fragments puncturing the dogs insides and I wouldn't want my house surfaces contaminated with bacteria from raw chickens/meat yuk

With adult dogs I usually feed mostly freshly cooked food but I know this would not be convenient for everyone and it is quite expensive.
Many dogs do well on dried and tinned food,I think it is really up to the owners to have a good look around at what is available then to choose what suits/they think is best for their dogs.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 12:34 AM
I add a little bit of pedigree to the complete id I have a poor eater. Seems to work wonders to be honest. Ive tried tripe, mince and pilchard but the picky ones still prefer a spoon full of tinned meat
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Fudge has Burns but we give wet food on occasion which she eats with relish. She also gets the table scraps which are appropriate for her. Add to this various training treats and fruit bits.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Occasionally Teagan gets a tin of 'Applause' dog food. Which is more like 'human' food than dog food, I have even eaten a tin of the tuna one myself
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 03:51 PM
I feed Max (and now Murphy) on CSJ Champ! dry food.
It's one of the cheaper foods in the CSJ range. They both do really well on the CSJ range of foods (Murphy was on the Little Champ! puppy food)

However, they often get stuff mixed into their kibble. This could be tuna in oil, sardines in oil, a raw egg or a little gravy.

I do also mix canned/wet food in with their kibble sometimes as well. Both my boys like Pedigree (in the pouches) - this actually smells quite appetising! They also have Tesco and Co-op own brand wet dog food as well as Chappie.

I tend to feed dry as their poops are more solid (and easier to pick up )

If your dog is doing well on canned/wet food; then unless you've a real issue with it, I don't see why you need to change
Page 14 of 19 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »