Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I'm glad to hear I am not alone with these extreme feeling of fear at the dentist, although I wish we could all get over it.
Thankyou also for the reassuring words.
I am just so scared something will go wrong and he will have to cut my gum and dig out bits of tooth and root because it wouldn't come out as one, and then have to stitch me up.
It also won't be over quickly if something goes wrong I could be sitting there in agony for ages. What if he gets half way through getting it out and I can't bear it anymore.

I know I know its silly thinking like this, but I can't help it I am so scared.
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You won't feel a thing while you are there---just the injection going in. Honest.

I pod is a great idea.

rune
dito to what rune says.

I thought all the same things you did hun,more so as it was my wisdom tooth and part of it was still under the gum a bit,
it was the quickest thing in the world, I couldnt believe how quick and easy it was,
I had never had a tooth taken out before that, but its so much easier than all the fillings and so on,
it was a doddle, never felt a thing, I wouldnt fib to you hun, even if the tooth did break, which it prob will not if its been filled recently it would still just mean taking it out in parts,
I honestly didnt even feel her twist my wisdom tooth, I thought it would take ages, but I blinked and it was over,
I cant tell you how proud I was of myself. I walked out of there like the biggest best person in the world lol
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:28 PM
just found the thread where I went through hell with my wisdom...
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=95357

post 69 on the thread is where I got it took out, honest, its easy

having the thing pulled out was a blessing, wouldnt think twice about it next time, when the next one starts causing problems {my wisdom on the other side} no messing its coming right out..
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 02:25 AM
You are not alone that is for sure, it took me 4months to get a tooth pulled as I couldn't get my butt in the chair, it feels so silly now looking back but I had no pain with it which was not helpful in getting me there. I had Brad and a friend with me, dosed myself up on Valium, he had nitrous oxide gas (laughing gas, don't get it as it doesn't make me laugh just dizzy and slightly sick) it was over before I knew it after four months of cancelling appts it was so quick, I imagined the same things of all the what ifs but the fact was the tooth had to come out, it can get serious if it is infected, so there are a lot my what ifs if you dont get it out now. That being said it is not easy, but if you can get someone to go with you and take some Valiums before you go and love the ipod idea, once they give you the local you won't feel a thing and you can just zone out.
Big cyber hugs to you Bev,
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 06:30 AM
Oh chick *hugs*.

I would go on Thursday with the thought that you don't have to have anything done if you don't want to. This may calm you enough......

x0x
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 06:41 AM
*hugs* Bev.

I'm sorry you're in pain now - but can only echo what the others said, pulling a tooth is way quicker than all the work they do when they're trying to save one. With the injections you shouldn't feel any pain but by crikey the pain you're in now will be gone if you let him do it!
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Bless ya! I know how you feel too.....I only used to go to the dentist if I had to, now I go for all the check ups etc....I can't stand tooth ache, and over the last few years I've suffered.

I really hope you manage to get it sorted x
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Oh Bev, I know exactly how you are feeling...as you know, they can never get my nerves numb and having had 3 extractions and 2 root canals in the last 14 months I really can sympathise with you...I don't think I've ever had so much toothache/abcesses in my life.

The only thing I do, and the dentist did laugh about it, is try to take myself off into my own little world...it does help now that I have the sleep apnoea as I tend to drift off quite quickly and they think I have nodded off...but I just think of lovely things and remind myself how much pain I'm in with the toothache as nothing seems to help with the pain.

I know you have to get over that first hurdle of actually getting in the chair...thats a huge leap of faith, but if you can try to hover in an almost sleep like state I'm sure you will get through it a bit easier.

I wish I lived closer as I would go along with you for support if you wanted me to.

I hope you manage to get sorted and out of pain very soon xxx
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 09:02 AM
have experience of this as i was a dental nurse for 6 years and still work in a dental surgery as a receptionist. its easy to say dont worry to much buch when your are that scared, it doesnt really help. all i can do is give you advice from the other side of the fence! first of all, dont be ashamed in telling the dentist and nurse about your fears. most staff are really very understanding when it comes to nervous patients. if you feel the need for valium then go for it. maybe ask the surgery if you can come in a bit earlier for your local anaesthetic so you can have it well before and you'll feel nice and numb by the time your appointment comes around. maybe 15 mins or so? as for the actual procedure, please dont panic about the tooth breaking. it doesnt mean anything has gone wrong so try not to see it as a negative thing. somethings teeth break but it really is nothing that cant be dealt with. you may feel pressure of tugging when the tooth is extracted but anaesthetics are really very good and any pain you do feel is very minor if at all! stitches, again will not be painful as the gum will be completly numb so you wont feel a thing. but with any luck the tooth will come out easily. but if it does break, dont forget, it hasnt gone wrong!! an ipod or walkman is a good idea or maybe a radio on in the surgery? just try and focus your mind on the music as it will help block out the other sounds in the surgery. even sing along in your head if it helps. i wont wish you luck as you wont need it, it will be fine im sure. and im an expert. but send you big hugs in advance.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm Baaaack. The offending tooth has gone and I have to say this dentist was fantastic. He really helped to put me at ease and turned the radio up on my request.
I had been visibly shaking all morning, but now feel quite proud of myself for actually going through with it. I know to some of you that will sound silly but to me it really was a big deal.
I would have no hesitation in seeing that young man again and letting him take another out if it ever needs it.
I am going to take a thankyou card in to him tomorrow as he really did go out of his way to help put me at ease. It only took 15 mins from the start of the numbing process till I left his room.
Woo I done it
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Well done--now you can think of me tomorrow finishing the root canal.

rune
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >