Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Starhope
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2009, 07:37 PM

Dry Food for Oldies

My GSD is 8 1/2, I don't see her as an oldie, and she doesn't act an oldie, but I suppose she is classed as a 'Senior' when it comes to dog food.

Was wondering whether I should be changing her to a senior dry food, or keep her on what she is on. (Supadog sensitive). This food suits her fine at the moment.

Anyone have any opinions on this and if so what would you recommend feeding her?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 10:01 PM
If she's doing well on the food she's on at the moment, then you could just keep her on it for the time being, I see no reason not to.

I have an 8.5 year old smaller dog and was wondering a short while ago whether to put her on to the senior version of what she was aleady on.

After looking in to it and speaking to the Arden Grange people, they advised me to just to keep her on the adult version that she is on just now, as she's fit and well.

If you're concerned about your dogs joints etc, being an older large dog, then you could always add joint supplements to her diet, there are plenty of them around if you search on here and Google. Like glucosamine and chondroitin. There is also JointAid for dogs, amongst other things.

There are plenty of good dry foods available on the market too. Arden Grange, Burns, James Wellbeloved, Healthy Paws, Wainwrights, to name a few.

Hope this helps.
Starhope
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah that was my thinking....why change it when it aint broke...and I have had her on Glucosamine and Chondroitin (sp) for a couple of years now, just as a precaution, not for a problem
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Starhope View Post
Yeah that was my thinking....why change it when it aint broke...and I have had her on Glucosamine and Chondroitin (sp) for a couple of years now, just as a precaution, not for a problem
Sounds fine to me then.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-12-2009, 01:01 AM
I kept Aster on regular Pro Plan to almost 15 years old, mostly because of other dogs eating it too. I only switched to the senior when Purina changed to the food with shreds in it. Would have she done better in her later years on a senior food? I can't say.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2009, 03:08 AM
I was under the impression most seniors foods for dogs are lower in calories due to the reduced exercise they may have and so they dont become overweight, so unless your dog fits in that catagory I then I would leave it as is.
nellie_dean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2009, 10:13 PM
There's plenty of options for senior foods. They tend to be lower in protein and energy, and often with the addition of Glucosamine, chondroitin to help with joints (not sure how effective the addition of these to foods actually is?
[mod edit]
Starhope
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Great link Nellie thank you