Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2009, 02:18 PM

Transit Vans

Anyone had any experience of them....what they are like to drive, how long they tend to live etc .

Any info or experiences would be great - thanks
BigBearsRule
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Ive only ever hired them for moving etc, I find them easy enough to drive, but I already drive a big car and am confident on the road.
If you are thinking of buying one, why not hire one for a few hours first and see what you think its like to drive. imho that would be easier than spending money on one only to hate it.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks -

I am as fussed about the driving bit as to the how long they tend to live thing - the one I am looking at is an 06 plate so would be quite up to date and I am currently driving a Vito that I have to hotwire every time I want to start it!

I am just woriied about spending out that amount of money and hving it die on me in 2 years time. I know there are no garuntees but it would be nice to have some hope
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Mechanically usually ok..its the body that gives up first..they tend to turn into rust buckets eventually..

We have always had Transits in one form or another..Fine to drive..not too big and great for towing (stock cars, caravans, horse trailers)
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I am just woriied about spending out that amount of money and hving it die on me in 2 years time. I know there are no garuntees but it would be nice to have some hope
Ask the seller to show you the 'Service Book' there should be a lot of 'stubs' (like a cheque book) each 'stub' should be stamped by the garage doing the service (It doesn't have to be a Ford dealer but should be a reputable garage)

If there is no service book, or there are many unstamped stubs then be careful, to me that would indicate it has not been regularly serviced and that in turn means that it might be unreliable.

The diesel versions are generally more reliable, recently I was in an airport taxi Ford Transit which had 255,000 miles on the clock
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks - one has been shown to me that will be £7000 inc Vat and custom cages. Also Air Conditioning, Bulkhead, CD Player, Cargo Lining, Central Locking, Electric Mirrors Electric Windows, Power Assisted Steering, N/S Loading Door, Stereo. It has a FSH and 60k on the clock......

It sounds quite good - but I am not good at this kind of thing!