View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 01:27 PM

Easy Payment terms for puppies - acceptable or not?

I know easy payments terms are offered by at least one breeder I know of, I just wondered what people's opinions are on this and if it is common or even if it just occurs in all breeds?

I understand about putting deposits on pups when you have been on a waiting list or a litter has been born. This is not what I am talking about.
I am talking about people buying a pup, for whatever price, and after taking it home being allowed to make payments until it is all paid off.

Is this a good way for people to own dogs?

If they can't afford the amount to buy the dog can they afford to keep it?

Is this even legal as is effectively credit terms?

I have an interest in this which I will not post about in this opening post, but welcome people's thoughts.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 01:34 PM
I think if people want a dog , they should save up for one they can afford but probably some people would think it was OK
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 01:36 PM
No I don't agree because it would lead to impulse buying. I feel that if someone wants a pup then they should be prepared to save up and pay cash that way they have the right mind set.
Elaine x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 01:37 PM
I personally would not be happy to pay for a dog on credit terms. Whenever I have bought a pup, I have spent time researching breeders and planning for my pup, this has also given me time to save up enough money to buy my pup on collection.

If I bred a litter of pups, I would be suspicious of someone wanting to pay off a bit at a time and would not actually agree to it. It would indicate to me that the prospective purchaser had not put enough thought into the purchase (ie giving them time to save up) and it would also worry me that they may not be able to afford the upkeep of a dog - ie food, vet bills, insurance etc.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 01:40 PM
As a general rule, I would not be in favour - I think the up front commitment is a way of indicating how serious someone is about a dog.

BUT I don't believe that just because someone can't afford several hundred pounds up front, they won't be able to to look after the dog properly.

Most expenditure tends to be ongoing rather than in big lumps and providing the dog is insured and the owner budgets properly, they should be able to look after the dog just fine.

So, personally I would say that my 'general rule' could be broken where the breeder was very certain about an individual case.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 01:40 PM
I disagree with it, i think it encourages impulse buying when i bought Shila we paid in one big go but we could have paid in instalments and bring her home once we had paid the full amount, which i imagine could help some people but then if u need to pay in instalments how will u pay for the rest of the pups things?
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Dunno if to say no would be a contradiction, as most breeders would take a deposit to secure the pup in the first place...
I think if it was paying up 1500 quid at a tenner a week I'd say no I wouldn't find it acceptable...
My most expensive outlay was for my boys 1400 quid 200 deposit then the rest when I went to pick the pups up, if your desperate for your pup I think you will find the money up front...
my gsd was I think 100 quid, years ago...
shar pei she was 10 weeks old and supposed runt of the litter she was 6oo quid...
EBT was 800 quid...
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm only interested in payment terms that are after the dog has been taken home.

For examply you collect your pup, which costs £700, and pay £100. Take your pup home and then pay £100 a month until it is paid off.

In other words, not when you pay a deposit and then pay the full amount either in stages or in whole before or when you collect your pup.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

13-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
As a general rule, I would not be in favour - I think the up front commitment is a way of indicating how serious someone is about a dog.

BUT I don't believe that just because someone can't afford several hundred pounds up front, they won't be able to to look after the dog properly.

Most expenditure tends to be ongoing rather than in big lumps and providing the dog is insured and the owner budgets properly, they should be able to look after the dog just fine.

So, personally I would say that my 'general rule' could be broken where the breeder was very certain about an individual case.

I am with Hali on this.

I have on one occasion paid by installment and that was when I got Brodie.

The story is that a young girl who was a member of the local Junior Handling club had been promised a puppy if she did well. She passed with flying colours and she had been handling Dream my little black and tan min LH Dachshund and she told her parents she wanted a dachie puppy. So I set about looking for one with lines which were PRA clear and found Brodie's breeder and arranged to take the young girl up one saturday to collect the puppy . On the Friday night I got a phone call from the fgrls mum to say she was not going to let her have a dachie pup after all.

I was embarassed to phone Jan the breeder as I had been in constant touch with her since the ouppies were born and she was so pkeased that this girl who was going to show the puppy was having him and obviously when I told her what had happened she was really disappointed and she asked if I would not think of having him. I explained that I had just got a borzoi puppy that May and this was July and I really could not afford to lay out for another pup so soon. So terms were arranged and I got Brodie my special wee man s (who I lost this year at 13 and a half years old) .

So somethimes it can work and as Hali says as a rule not a great idea, but there can be times when the rule can be broken depending on the curcumstances
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I think it's very circumstantial. If you had to pay one lump sum, you may not be able to afford the insurance etc - but if you could split the payments then it would give you a bit of a start.

However saying that - i think a prospective owner should save up first - thats what i had to do to get my leo - and she was worth every penny.

I notice on a dog site that sells pup that there are payment options available when you buy a pup. I certainly don't agree with advertising the fact!. JMO though.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >