View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Well I'm gobsmacked then Steph if that is the case! Can you imagine how much I could charge mum for all that I do for her here plus living with us??? I know she spent a lot on the house to make her own living accommodation upstairs, but the rest of it, we paid for ourselves by getting a 2nd mortgage coz we wanted to carry on with the work and get the whole lot done, but perleeeeease, I wouldn't dream of charging her for anything I do here let alone money towards her keep, even if we had a big enough house to have taken her in anyway! In fact, only the other day when we were discussing that awful notice money that care home wants now, she actually said she would pay £1,000 a week to live here compared to what she got there, and I said that'd be nice if she did!!! At the moment, her pension and AA just about covers the help I am getting in, but there's nothing left in the kitty for me unfortunately, I do it all because she is my Mum and she did it all for me when I was a kid, so like I told her, it's payback time for her!

You must go ahead with a nwnf solicitor, but make darn sure you get everything in writing before they go ahead, as to how their fees are actually calculated and charged, because Iknow some of them are right shiesters (if that's word, I use it anyways!).

This has happened with Dave's sister who now takes care of his mum who he doesn't speak to anyway and hasn't for 4 years now, he's had the collar torn off with them over something stupid so he disowned them. This particular sister made his parents move down to where they live, they suddenly get a new car (£10K's worth!) and they take her just about everywhere. The other sister, who still lives near us and used to do just about everything for them (he died last year the father!)with no thanks at all, has suddenly been left out in the cold and has actually been told that she won't be getting anything in the will either, it's all going to be left to the grandchildren -nice hey!!!! Dave of course won't get anything either, but he knew that coz of the collar job! He doesn't seem to care

It's always one Steph, one does all the taking and doing as little as possible, or in your sister's case charges for the priveledge, whilst the other does everything and gets nothing! I had the same. I've been the only one out of the whole family who did just about everything for my parents from the age of 10, whilst all the others just took, took, took, made a mess of it all and ended up with nothing, whereas me, who never did any "taking" has ended up ok!!!! Karma methinks hey???!!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
I thought these "NWNF" solicitors took their costs off the defence when they won?

Snorri
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Well I'm gobsmacked then Steph if that is the case! Can you imagine how much I could charge mum for all that I do for her here plus living with us??? I know she spent a lot on the house to make her own living accommodation upstairs, but the rest of it, we paid for ourselves by getting a 2nd mortgage coz we wanted to carry on with the work and get the whole lot done, but perleeeeease, I wouldn't dream of charging her for anything I do here let alone money towards her keep, even if we had a big enough house to have taken her in anyway! In fact, only the other day when we were discussing that awful notice money that care home wants now, she actually said she would pay £1,000 a week to live here compared to what she got there, and I said that'd be nice if she did!!! At the moment, her pension and AA just about covers the help I am getting in, but there's nothing left in the kitty for me unfortunately, I do it all because she is my Mum and she did it all for me when I was a kid, so like I told her, it's payback time for her!

You must go ahead with a nwnf solicitor, but make darn sure you get everything in writing before they go ahead, as to how their fees are actually calculated and charged, because Iknow some of them are right shiesters (if that's word, I use it anyways!).

This has happened with Dave's sister who now takes care of his mum who he doesn't speak to anyway and hasn't for 4 years now, he's had the collar torn off with them over something stupid so he disowned them. This particular sister made his parents move down to where they live, they suddenly get a new car (£10K's worth!) and they take her just about everywhere. The other sister, who still lives near us and used to do just about everything for them (he died last year the father!)with no thanks at all, has suddenly been left out in the cold and has actually been told that she won't be getting anything in the will either, it's all going to be left to the grandchildren -nice hey!!!! Dave of course won't get anything either, but he knew that coz of the collar job! He doesn't seem to care

It's always one Steph, one does all the taking and doing as little as possible, or in your sister's case charges for the priveledge, whilst the other does everything and gets nothing! I had the same. I've been the only one out of the whole family who did just about everything for my parents from the age of 10, whilst all the others just took, took, took, made a mess of it all and ended up with nothing, whereas me, who never did any "taking" has ended up ok!!!! Karma methinks hey???!!!
A BIG THANK YOU to you both....yes I have been in touch with a NWNF solicitor, they are going to look into the case......Now my sister must of been told by someone that ....IF you WIN, they then charge you....WHICH THEY DON'T they get thier monies from the company that you are sueing....in this case Lincolnshire Council......so it is obvious that my sister is thinking....''''''if mom has to pay out on anything then we are left with less money'''''''

There can be no other reason as to why she doesn't want Mom to claim. Obviously my Sister has been talking to one of HER FRIENDS again, and do you know the worst thing....she is in charge of Mom's will.

My Sister's excuse for taking £25.00 pounds per week....£100.00 pounds per month ................''Well Mom gets offended if you don't''.......which maybe the way of my dear Old Mom.....but then Ann could always put it back couldn't she....she doesn't HAVE to take it.

My Mom's reason for giving the money to her....''Well when I came here to live, Ann said 'we'll take care of everything you need, you don't need to pay for a HOME HELP we'll do everything, so all Malcolm needs is his petrol monies for all the running around....as after all we are retired.''

Now someone is lying....................what you think....my Mother who's 87 yrs, who has all her '''marbles''' all be it frail in health or my Sister who's 61yrs and always playing the 'hard up card'

I know who I believe
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
I thought these "NWNF" solicitors took their costs off the defence when they won?

Snorri
its been long time ago ,they may do they dont get paid till the end ,remember that much
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Yes Steph, she doesn't have to take it does she especially if she is in charge of her finances, she can always put it back, she must know the account number!!! Just like when my poor old Mum was living on a pittance out in Majorca, she had to keep dipping into her investment money to be able to survive, and yet she'd send us a cheque for £100 each at Christmas, but neither of us banked it, we just tore it up, as yer would!!!!!

If I were you, I'd ask the solicitor how that will stands too???!!! Might be an eye opener? It happened to me, although I've got all that sorted now Maybe you don't want to, but I would under the circumstances! It's incredible what some members of the familiy will do where money comes into the equasion, believe me, I know!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by queenwillow View Post
its been long time ago ,they may do they dont get paid till the end ,remember that much
Yes tracey...they get thier costs back from the company at the end ....luckily not my Mom....that's if she has a case of course.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes Steph, she doesn't have to take it does she especially if she is in charge of her finances, she can always put it back, she must know the account number!!! Just like when my poor old Mum was living on a pittance out in Majorca, she had to keep dipping into her investment money to be able to survive, and yet she'd send us a cheque for £100 each at Christmas, but neither of us banked it, we just tore it up, as yer would!!!!!

If I were you, I'd ask the solicitor how that will stands too???!!! Might be an eye opener? It happened to me, although I've got all that sorted now Maybe you don't want to, but I would under the circumstances! It's incredible what some members of the familiy will do where money comes into the equasion, believe me, I know!
Yea think your right hun...and yes they do have her account number........going to go and see mom soon, I am going to have a word and suggest that a will is left with the Solicitor...Ann will only have a copy then.
I don't care about her leaving me anything...we have already discussed that but she wants to leave her grand- sons money (my boys). Ann and |Malcolm have no children (always been a issue there too) and they would get the other half....that will leave me with nought..but that's ok as they are my kids and I'd rather they had the money as it will help them. So that is the only reason's for my concerns in that department.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 07:03 AM
I can't believe your sister is charging your Mum for the little things she's doing for her - thats disgraceful.

As for the claim, I have mixed views. What I would say is that I know people who have used the 'no win no fee' solicitors, lost and been out of pocket....you do have to be careful because if you lose, whilst you don't pay them a fee, there can be lots of costs involved, sometimes stretching to a few hundred pounds.

might be worth approaching the Council without a solicitor in the first instance as they may be willing to settle something without solicitors etc....there again their insurers may not let them.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Sisters huh? Mine's the same - she plays the hard up card too. I'm sorry for your mum and for you *hugs*
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I can't believe your sister is charging your Mum for the little things she's doing for her - thats disgraceful.

As for the claim, I have mixed views. What I would say is that I know people who have used the 'no win no fee' solicitors, lost and been out of pocket....you do have to be careful because if you lose, whilst you don't pay them a fee, there can be lots of costs involved, sometimes stretching to a few hundred pounds.

might be worth approaching the Council without a solicitor in the first instance as they may be willing to settle something without solicitors etc....there again their insurers may not let them.
Thanks Fiona, I appreciate your expert advice. I spoke to Mom again last night and she has spoken to the council, asking them what they were going to do etc., all about her arm etc.,
Spoke to her just as she went into Boston today again....the slab has been replaced but the council haven't got back to her. I am going to speak to CAB...and ask them thier advice before going ahead
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
Sisters huh? Mine's the same - she plays the hard up card too. I'm sorry for your mum and for you *hugs*
Well Hun.....if my sister is hard up..........I'll swop places with her any day....they just had a brand new car
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2