Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Sally, she was a real baby in that shot and yes she perfected the spinning round if she saw a scary leaf or twig She was the first mare I'd ever owned and they always say "you ask a mare and tell a gelding"

I don't ride any more as my back really doesn't like it but they were wonderful times and horses were a major part of my life.
.........and discuss it with a stallion!!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm 'ere again! (s'posed to be working!) just seen the pics of the transformation in your horse Helena! WOW!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I'd forgotten that one.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-02-2013, 09:26 PM
but the only picture I can find of me riding is when I was taking the tickle out of a pony before my daughter rode it:
Beautiful, and that horse looks pretty good too

I have a few, most old apart from the last one which is of me on my then 4 year old welsh section D. All poor quality as I've had to take photos of photos
Lovely photos Jenny, the one of you on your jumping pony (Looking 'grumpy') made me think of Marianne Faithful when she first started singing.

Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
It just doesn't happen nowadays does it, I think we were all the better for it and more self reliant in lots of ways because we were expected to be responsible and make decisions and not nanny'd everywhere. And if you fell off you jolly well found your pony, got back on and carried on!!!!
Oh how much I agree with you on that, with me when I fell off (which I did often ) there was this huge Scots Army sargent who would shout across to me "Get back on that b****y horse, what do you think you're b****y well doing" I'm sure he thought I was in the Army

I would get dropped off at the stables first thing in the morning and would remain there all day until I could get a lift back.
My parents would drop me and my brother of at the stables and pick us up in the early evening, they knew it was run by the Army and that made it safe in their eyes, but we used to get up to few tricks with the grooms and even take the horses out for long rides with oneof them.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I was Little Polly's Pantry and I was very famous at Hickstead, or so the show jumpers told me, they said I served the best breakfast on the whole of their circuit! I think I did over 10 years there at every single meeting.
Little Pollys Pantry what a super name, I love it You do look very smart on that horse Helena, there's something special about a girl in jodphurs and riding hat, a bit like uniforms

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
(HARVEY? Is that your real name?)
Yes it is, (A lot of Dogsey dogs are also Harvey ) Losos is also my real surname, well the English translation is, I'll leave it to you to work that one out

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh yes, Arabs were born for long distance riding. A friend of mine had a beautiful Arab she used to do this with, and I think she actually did the 50 miler once
From memory I think all the horses in the Army stables were Arabs, certainly Askin (The one I am jumping) was an Arab gelding. Terrific stamina and often a bit of a handful, but wonderful horses.

Yes we had some of those at the stables but as I recall we were not allowed to ride them.

I've really enjoyed looking at all your photos, thank you all.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Well, we all know how to keep Harvey happy now........just throw in the odd photo of one of us in riding boots and any grumpiness will vanish in a trice

Have you noticed how absolutely everyone is riding stallions these days? Soooo many showjumpers. Is it ever worth it I wonder, all that temperament and stroppiness.......goodness only knows how the riders cope if there is a mare in season around.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2013, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE=Losos;2664327]
Lovely photos Jenny, the one of you on your jumping pony (Looking 'grumpy') made me think of Marianne Faithful when she first started singing.
I think I was going through a stage that it wasn't 'cool' to smile.

My parents would drop me and my brother of at the stables and pick us up in the early evening, they knew it was run by the Army and that made it safe in their eyes, but we used to get up to few tricks with the grooms and even take the horses out for long rides with oneof them.
Those were the days - and wasn't it wonderful to be 'free' of parental guidance and just to do what you wanted. I loved it and to have your own prersonal transport (via horse) was liberating.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-02-2013, 10:20 AM
You could go where you want and disappear for the day and no one bothered, as long as you were back for tea
We had such a lot of freedom compared to the children of today, I was catching buses to the matinee on a Saturday from a very early age (there were a few of us) or we used to walk back and spend the 3d bus fare. Such very happy times eh?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
You could go where you want and disappear for the day and no one bothered, as long as you were back for tea
We had such a lot of freedom compared to the children of today, I was catching buses to the matinee on a Saturday from a very early age (there were a few of us) or we used to walk back and spend the 3d bus fare. Such very happy times eh?
I remember going to Saturday afternoon pictures too, and there were also a few of us, but we used to have a whip round for one of us to go through and pay, whilst the others nipped round the back to the ladies loo and whoever had paid to get in would go and let us lot in through the back door There started my mis-spent youth!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Oh Happy Days!!! the ice cream lady, the 3 Stooges, Old Mother Riley, all good clean fun though and no one got hurt, well nothing to tell our parents about anyway
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5