View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Oh Jenny, that must have been so awful to see such a beautiful bird lying dead like that , and just as you had moved in too, cos that's very, very unlucky (allegedly!)

Glad you got well stocked up with your food there jantet, I must get out tomorrow and get some more, although the digestive biccies are arriving courtesy of Sainsburys and they all love those crumbled up

Today's visitors I captured
A slimmer version of thrush than yesterday

A blackbird

and I caught one of the robins

It's a funny thing, but they all seem to take it in turns at the big dish feeder. When all the starlings descend, the others keep out of the way, then it's the blackbirds turns, and the little finches and tits swoop about. The jays won't come anywhere near till everyone has gone, they feed alone when it's all gone quiet. The blackbirds were all sat up in the tree just waiting until I went up there again to refill the feeders and pour hot water on their water. Such a time waster, but very relaxing and pleasurable.

Linda, I WILL get one of those foxes tomorrow for you! they look so beautiful against the white snow, and today, one of them trotted up all the steps calm as yer like but unfortunately the blooming camera was on charge so couldn't get it! I will tomorrow though.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Wow, you get quite a variety don't you? Some lovely shots there. I do think the fat little thrush is a bit cute! Good luck with the fox!
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Hey Heleny54, just hit on that

what a wonderful threat!

I just love those wild birds

and just looking forward to spring, when the black birds begin their wonderful singing again
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Beautiful, Helena

I find the birds here will not come near because of the cats, both mine and the ferals.

maybe in spring; I see wagtails around a lot

One year in a different house I fed a pair at the window who were obviously feeding babies in some nearby trees. Weeks later the whole family came to visit me before flying onwards.

There are no wood peckers in Ireland apparently so thank you!
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Great photos,I love feeding the birds too but I'm a rubbish photographer,though I did manage to snap a female great spotted woodpecker teaching one of her chicks how to get at the peanuts last spring.

I think the woodpecker in your photos is a Greater Spotted, hard to judge size from the photo but the lesser spotted has black and white barred wings.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Wow, you get quite a variety don't you? Some lovely shots there. I do think the fat little thrush is a bit cute! Good luck with the fox!
I think he's cute too Linda I now have quite a few thrushes each day, but sadly, no fox, haven't seen him since the snow left, but I'm sure he still visits but maybe at night again instead of daytime. I'll keep 'em peeled for him so I can get a shot for you Linda.

Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
Hey Heleny54, just hit on that

what a wonderful threat!

I just love those wild birds

and just looking forward to spring, when the black birds begin their wonderful singing again
Oh yes Malpeki, you always know when Spring has arrived with all the singing, I love it here, because no traffic, no other noise, just the birds to hear for once. Glad you liked the pics

Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Beautiful, Helena

I find the birds here will not come near because of the cats, both mine and the ferals.

maybe in spring; I see wagtails around a lot

One year in a different house I fed a pair at the window who were obviously feeding babies in some nearby trees. Weeks later the whole family came to visit me before flying onwards.

There are no wood peckers in Ireland apparently so thank you!
No woodpeckers in Ireland, I wonder why that is? Maybe you don't have the thick forests that we have, that's what they like, I've seen them over the road banging their beaks on the tree trunks. I once had a robin who would feed from my hand when I got some live mealworms, it took a while, but he usually came into the bootroom when the door was open, so I just stood there one day with the mealworms and slowly he came to me, I love robins they are my absolute fave because they are our little "messengers" ya know!

Originally Posted by joto View Post
Great photos,I love feeding the birds too but I'm a rubbish photographer,though I did manage to snap a female great spotted woodpecker teaching one of her chicks how to get at the peanuts last spring.

I think the woodpecker in your photos is a Greater Spotted, hard to judge size from the photo but the lesser spotted has black and white barred wings.
thanks joto, I'm pretty rubbish with the camera too, but this was a new zoom lens that I had for Christmas, so I was practicing with it and they've come out well I think. Yes, you're right, it's the great spotted because of the red hat and red under its tail, whereas the lesser spotted I think just has the red cap (but don't quote me on that lol!)
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I think he's cute too Linda I now have quite a few thrushes each day, but sadly, no fox, haven't seen him since the snow left, but I'm sure he still visits but maybe at night again instead of daytime. I'll keep 'em peeled for him so I can get a shot for you Linda.

Oh yes Malpeki, you always know when Spring has arrived with all the singing, I love it here, because no traffic, no other noise, just the birds to hear for once. Glad you liked the pics

No woodpeckers in Ireland, I wonder why that is? Maybe you don't have the thick forests that we have, that's what they like, I've seen them over the road banging their beaks on the tree trunks. I once had a robin who would feed from my hand when I got some live mealworms, it took a while, but he usually came into the bootroom when the door was open, so I just stood there one day with the mealworms and slowly he came to me, I love robins they are my absolute fave because they are our little "messengers" ya know!

thanks joto, I'm pretty rubbish with the camera too, but this was a new zoom lens that I had for Christmas, so I was practicing with it and they've come out well I think. Yes, you're right, it's the great spotted because of the red hat and red under its tail, whereas the lesser spotted I think just has the red cap (but don't quote me on that lol!)
Things could be changing:

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/News/...8/Default.aspx
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Things could be changing:

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/News/...8/Default.aspx
That is interesting

Helena said.

No woodpeckers in Ireland, I wonder why that is? Maybe you don't have the thick forests that we have, that's what they like, I've seen them over the road banging their beaks on the tree trunks.

Actually forestry is THE major industry here now. Half of some counties including Kerry.. farmers sell out to them and they plant huge acreages. Trees grow well in this climate

This may well be why the change in population.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3