register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 65 of 84 « First < 15 55 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 75 > Last »
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
Maybe your dogs are abnormal then ?

Seriously though, the behaviorists I've spoken to and the books that I've read all describe resource guarding as normal canine behavior. It's not desirable in dogs living with humans and it's something you want to train out of them. But normal behavior for a dog.

Our oldest was the only dog in the house for a full year. She wasn't a resource guarder. We could take anything off her and she'd share bones, anything with other dogs.

The little one came along and was guarding from us and our older dog at 7 weeks old. The older one started guarding highly valued resources against other dogs at this point. When she had to share more I guess it became more important to guard the things that matter.

Now that we're being firm with the little one he's eased up and is happy for us to take things from him. He's also lightened up around our older dog. No idea what's going on in their little heads, but it's as if they feel they don't need to guard things because we're taking care of all the goodies?
Yeah must be so must that one highlighted of yours!
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
and this is the crux of the matter, most of us HAVE watched CM's programmes and we do not see a person who clearly loves dogs nor someone who uses kinds methods.
I agree totally that the crux of the matter is one of differing interpretations of what we see. As you say, most of us have watched the CM' programs but we don't all see the same thing.

You say that "most of us" don't see a person that clearly loves dogs or someone who used kind methods. Who is 'most of us' ? In my experience 'most of us' see quite clearly a compassionate dog lover with a superb ability to relate to dogs and to teach their owners to raise stable, balanced dogs.

Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
He choked one dog till it's tongue went blue, is that a kind method? I would really like your explanantion on what is kind about throttling a dog. I do not believe that his methods do result in a happy well balanced dog, they result in a dog that has completely shut down due to abusive techniques being used in it's 'training'.
If you think you see CM choking dogs then you'd be crazy to use his methods. That would be cruel.

The closest I've ever come to seeing anyone choking a dog wasn't on telly but in real life. Dogs pulling on the lead! I know a few people with labs that are particularly bad for that. The dogs will go blue in the tongue and make awful choking noises. I'm sure they do themselves damage. Although the dog is doing it to itself I think it is cruel to let it continue. Although some people really do struggle to stop dogs pulling. One method that is popular is to simply stop moving when the dog starts to pull. Just act like a tree and let the dog pull and choke as much as he wants. The idea is that he'll learn that if he stops pulling he'll be rewarded by being allowed to go forward. Is that cruel? Letting the dog choke itself? Peoples opinions will no doubt vary on that one. It's not a problem I've had to deal with so I don't have a firm opinion.

What the vast majority of us do not understand is how people such as yourself cannot see that all this pulling and poking and jabbing and kicking of dogs is not a form of abuse.
What the vast majority of us do not understand is how people such as yourself can read things into events that simply aren't there.

Stalemate.

See how futile this line of discussion is?

I reiterate, I've found the CM shows helpful and I've used a lot of the methods that he demonstrates (I've already explained the kind of thing that's worked for us). These approaches worked where bog-standard 'positive training methods' led to problems. Everything we do is fully compatible with positive training methods - in fact, all the steps we have taken were recommended by more than one so-called 'positive trainer'. They basically agreed with the cornerstones of what CM teaches (or perhaps I should say what 'the vast majority of us' hear/see him teaching - I accept that 'the vast majority of you see something very different ).

The trainers that I work with approve of the methods I'm using - although they don't know that I'm getting it from the CM show. They think I'm following their advice, but I find CM has a much better understanding of this kind of thing and puts it across in a way that I find easy to grasp. Whereas CM puts the relationship between dog and owner at the center of everything - a foundation so to speak, most training classes, books etc deal with training first (i.e. teaching tricks and commands). The relationship (rules, boundaries, limitations etc) seems only to be looked at as an afterthought if problems develop. In MY experience with MY dogs this is back to front. (I wouldn't be so obnoxious and self-opinionated to assume or suggest that what works for me and my dogs is at all relevant to anyone else. I'm not making recommending to others - just giving feedback on what's worked well for us).
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2009, 12:56 PM
I agree totally that the crux of the matter is one of differing interpretations of what we see. As you say, most of us have watched the CM' programs but we don't all see the same thing.

You say that "most of us" don't see a person that clearly loves dogs or someone who used kind methods. Who is 'most of us' ? In my experience 'most of us' see quite clearly a compassionate dog lover with a superb ability to relate to dogs and to teach their owners to raise stable, balanced dogs.

If you think you see CM choking dogs then you'd be crazy to use his methods. That would be cruel.

The closest I've ever come to seeing anyone choking a dog wasn't on telly but in real life. Dogs pulling on the lead! I know a few people with labs that are particularly bad for that. The dogs will go blue in the tongue and make awful choking noises. I'm sure they do themselves damage. Although the dog is doing it to itself I think it is cruel to let it continue. Although some people really do struggle to stop dogs pulling. One method that is popular is to simply stop moving when the dog starts to pull. Just act like a tree and let the dog pull and choke as much as he wants. The idea is that he'll learn that if he stops pulling he'll be rewarded by being allowed to go forward. Is that cruel? Letting the dog choke itself? Peoples opinions will no doubt vary on that one. It's not a problem I've had to deal with so I don't have a firm opinion.

What the vast majority of us do not understand is how people such as yourself can read things into events that simply aren't there.

Stalemate.

See how futile this line of discussion is?
I reiterate, I've found the CM shows helpful and I've used a lot of the methods that he demonstrates (I've already explained the kind of thing that's worked for us). These approaches worked where bog-standard 'positive training methods' led to problems. Everything we do is fully compatible with positive training methods - in fact, all the steps we have taken were recommended by more than one so-called 'positive trainer'. They basically agreed with the cornerstones of what CM teaches (or perhaps I should say what 'the vast majority of us' hear/see him teaching - I accept that 'the vast majority of you see something very different ).

The trainers that I work with approve of the methods I'm using - although they don't know that I'm getting it from the CM show. They think I'm following their advice, but I find CM has a much better understanding of this kind of thing and puts it across in a way that I find easy to grasp. Whereas CM puts the relationship between dog and owner at the center of everything - a foundation so to speak, most training classes, books etc deal with training first (i.e. teaching tricks and commands). The relationship (rules, boundaries, limitations etc) seems only to be looked at as an afterthought if problems develop. In MY experience with MY dogs this is back to front. (I wouldn't be so obnoxious and self-opinionated to assume or suggest that what works for me and my dogs is at all relevant to anyone else. I'm not making recommending to others - just giving feedback on what's worked well for us).
Excellent post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Sorry I seem to keep reading your posts and replying
Not following you about the board

I can' t understand why it is even disagreed that he chokes dogs. He does, they don't do it to themselves. He sets them up for it in the age old fashion of tyrannical trainers who believed that dogs must submit, if not suffer the consequences.

Wys
x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Sorry I seem to keep reading your posts and replying
Not following you about the board

I can' t understand why it is even disagreed that he chokes dogs. He does, they don't do it to themselves. He sets them up for it in the age old fashion of tyrannical trainers who believed that dogs must submit, if not suffer the consequences.

Wys
x
I couldn't agree more.
I found this...there is no audio. Apologies if someone else has posted it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lKOjqL05-s
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Scarter, I base my observations not only on my dogs but the dogs I see on a daily basis in the park, my friends dogs who I have looked after - the latest one for 3 weeks, the dogs I see in training classes, the dogs I hear about on the internet
I used Mia as an example because that is an issue she had - dosent matter why she had the issue - same with your boy - the problem wasnt why he had the issue in the first place but how you dealt with it going on in the future
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
A good post Ramble, although I disagree with your remarks about CC.

It would be nice if we could get away from the bullying theme ... both in its discussion, and in actuality. It would be nice to turn this thread back to its original discussion, started by Mish, and discuss whether CM is improving.

Unfortunately, we don't have Sky, so I am unable to watch his latest programmes, only those repeated on Freeview. So it would be good to hear from youse rich guys who can afford Sky and watch the more up to date episodes !
Jeezzzz, you go away from the computer for a few days, and when you come back it seem the bullying accusations are still be thrown around, by the same people, I wonder why, when both contributors have stated they no longer wish to take part in this thread, but then come back with an ulterior motive, Gnasher to continue education us on CM , and CC, well, she never disappoints, likes to stir up a good fight!!

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I didn't look at CC's post until you linked to it.
The difference between you Gnasher and CC is that you comment on CMs theories...you suggest why they work for you and describe examples clearly and politely.CC adds nothing to the threads in that way...I hoped when I saw she was posting again that she might...so I checked a couple of posts and she didn't so I don't read them anymore...and judging by the tone of the one you linked to...nothing has changed still.

Have to agree with this, at least Gnasher likes to entertain us... with her incredible wolf dogs stories.

Gnasher , you said yourself you have been the recipient of bullies, so lets not do it a disservice,....

No one has ben bullies on this thread, there was a minority opinion of one, who supported a theory, you must expect a reaction to it.

I have been a member on a US forum, where lets say, most of the members have a love of e.collors and the use of them in training...at times I was in a minority of one , arguing my point, i was not bullied But it could get very heated. I stuck around argued my point, I also have the most powerful tool at my hands to use if I felt in any way bullied the turn off button

So lets get away from throwing trow away comments around... and get back on track.........

CM , and how cruel he is
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Jeezzzz, you go away from the computer for a few days, and when you come back it seem the bullying accusations are still be thrown around, by the same people, I wonder why, when both contributors have stated they no longer wish to take part in this thread, but then come back with an ulterior motive, Gnasher to continue education us on CM , and CC, well, she never disappoints, likes to stir up a good fight!!

Have to agree with this, at least Gnasher likes to entertain us... with her incredible wolf dogs stories.

Gnasher , you said yourself you have been the recipient of bullies, so lets not do it a disservice,....

No one has ben bullies on this thread, there was a minority opinion of one, who supported a theory, you must expect a reaction to it.

I have been a member on a US forum, where lets say, most of the members have a love of e.collors and the use of them in training...at times I was in a minority of one , arguing my point, i was not bullied But it could get very heated. I stuck around argued my point, I also have the most powerful tool at my hands to use if I felt in any way bullied the turn off button

So lets get away from throwing trow away comments around... and get back on track.........

CM , and how cruel he is
Haha, quality. Best post of the thread so far!

Gnasher, what do you think about Ramble's link? I wont ask CC as it seems she is unable to offer fact based examples on ''why'' CM is so good but instead just insults people which is a shame.

In addition, for all those who say ''his show has helped me lots with my dog's blah blah blah'' did you not read the bit where it says ''do not try this at home'' or words to that effect?
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

CM , and how cruel he is
Please Jackbox, you make me laugh. I like to stir up a good fight do I and you; you are a little sunbeam, full of happy, sweet things to say, like hell you are!!!!

Don't like my posts, then take your own advice and switch off or press ignore. If my posts are hitting a bit of a nerve, then perhaps you are in denial of the downright disgusting way some of you are behaving towards the "pros"
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Haha, quality. Best post of the thread so far!

Gnasher, what do you think about Ramble's link? I wont ask CC as it seems she is unable to offer fact based examples on ''why'' CM is so good but instead just insults people which is a shame.

In addition, for all those who say ''his show has helped me lots with my dog's blah blah blah'' did you not read the bit where it says ''do not try this at home'' or words to that effect?

Oh dear, Pidge has her little claws out doesn't she!!!!
The only shame here, is that you have joined in the bitching but hey, do your best love, have a party

If you think I've insulted anyone, you are sooooooooo wrong. I've just said a few home truths. Hard for some in denial to bear.

Now, being as you are sooooooo clued up about dogs all of a sudden, perhaps you'd like to share some of your great tips! I'm all ears
Closed Thread
Page 65 of 84 « First < 15 55 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 75 > Last »