15-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Doesn't soaking kibble make it turn into mush
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by jeagibear View Post
Thank you Imana..
I lost my Beautiful Jeager to Bloat. 18 mths ago (may 25th)
He did eat dry kibble, he was on Steroids for a slight graze on his hock, they were prescribed to stop the itching. It was the last day of the treatment,too!!!! He also drank too much water after his last meal. (sleep tight big fella)
I found out much more about it since then. I am now blessed with Little Rhodi. He was on dry kibble and drank like mad, when i first got him. I was also told by a very kind friend, and GSD owner, trainer, breeder etc etc. That a Dog will not get bloat, if you fully soak the kibble first.
I cover Rhodi's with a slightly warm water before i take him out. When we return the water has been fully soaked up.
So i feed him Twice a day ( morning and evening ) i add half a tin of Sardines in tomato juice with each meal, plus a tspn full of Apple Cider Vinegar. I also take water with me, on every walk, so i encourage him to drink little and often.
i am determined the same thing will not happen to Rhodi. He is also fed from the floor. NOT raised bowls
Thank you for your post. It's helped me to talk about it Properly, for the first time since it happened. I hope it helps others to avoid it happening to their Dogs.
Thank you so much for your post, I appreciate that must have been hard for you I am so sorry you lost your boy to this, I can't imagine how traumatic it must have been.

The more we can talk about it the better, as it is so rare but so devastating it's very difficult for vets to get a completely clear picture as to how and why it occurs and there are always exceptions to the rule.

I know one of the ladies at dog school had one of her dogs stapled as a prevention as one of her previous dogs died as a result of bloat.

So any info I get I will post as the more we know the better armed we are
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Reminiscent of bran mash
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-11-2013, 11:33 AM
eugh...dogs have teeth specifically designed for meat
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-11-2013, 12:32 PM
The kibble that I occasionally give Pereg [together with all her veggies etc] is "Canine Caviar" Chicken & Pearl Millet Dinner - and I soak it for a few minutes in hot water. It swells slightly but does not soften very much, and it means I have sufficient liquid to mix her vitamins and supplements in before adding the veggies.

It definitely does not turn it into mush as it is still crunchy.
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2013, 12:40 PM
eugh...dogs have teeth specifically designed for meat
Hi tawney...I am not a lover of Kibble, believe me, but situations over the years have made me use different things too. I used to use Nature Diet...That was just a squidgey mash too. Even though i liked that stuff, they had supply problems, then it went mouldy at PAH.etc.etc. So i had to find something that was consistent and reliable.
If I could use RAW, and get every measurement absolutely correct, and had more room, and a bigger freezer.!!!!! Then i would.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 12:50 PM
After losing my boy to this I am so careful with what I feed (RAW) and always have water available and take some on a walk with me. I rest the dogs 2 hours before and after food and feed from the floor.

Just another word of warning, feeding kibble which contains citric acid (vitamin c ) should NEVER be soaked, as it makes the food fizz up which can cause gas. I dont know why they put this in food as like grains it is not needed.

I hope one day they will find the cause of this horrible condition.
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
The kibble that I occasionally give Pereg [together with all her veggies etc] is "Canine Caviar" Chicken & Pearl Millet Dinner - and I soak it for a few minutes in hot water. It swells slightly but does not soften very much, and it means I have sufficient liquid to mix her vitamins and supplements in before adding the veggies.

It definitely does not turn it into mush as it is still crunchy.
Hi ya Malka. I thought your little Princess may have caviar...and so she should!
I soak Rhodi's completely, on purpose! So it is just like feeding wet food. He loved his tins of Hills ID, when he had a bad tummy, these last few months. That was wet too.
He has a lovely little burp as well, as he finishes his meal, which makes me feel good that the air is moving and escaping from his insides. This is very important in preventing the Bloat.xx
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Imana-Banana View Post
Reminiscent of bran mash
Mushy Weetabix is lovely...With warm milk!...And loads of Sugar.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by jeagibear View Post
Mushy Weetabix is lovely...With warm milk!...And loads of Sugar.
That is EXACTLY how I like mine!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >