Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2013, 11:53 AM

New Information on Bloat

I received this morning and thought it might be useful

Information Sheet 1. GDV - Latest findings
Dogs with an increased risk:
Dysfunction of GI tract e.g. sphincter, oesophagus, pylorus problems, inflammatory bowel disease
Old age, breed, overfeeding, too much water consumption in a small time frame
Exercise before or after feeding
Fearful dogs are more likely to suffer than happy disposition dogs
Sexually intact females
Breeds which are at most risk:
Deep chested are more likely than barrel chested
Great Danes = 37% risk
Other breeds cited include Setter, Standard Poodle, Weimaraner, German Short-haired Pointer, Labradors, Dogue de Bordeaux, Rottweiler, German Shepherd etc.
Advice on eating:
All of the below increases the risk of GDV:
Raising dog bowl may now increase risk
Eating food particles less than 30mm (3cm) may increase risk (that’s all kibble!)
Foods with increased amount of oils/fats
Eating once daily
What can happen:
Mortality rates – 10-60% with treatment (Aronson et al. 2000)
Bloating can occur before or after twisting. The stomach can twist in either direction. It causes low blood pressure (pale mucous membranes, poor CRT, increased HR, cardiac arrhythmias, loss of blood supply to organs and shock, can lead to blood poisoning, toxic shock and peritonitis.
Veterinary Treatment:
Intravenous fluids to treat shock.

Emergency surgery to remove gas and untwist the stomach, with a right sided gastropexy, (this reduces recurrence, bloat may be repeated but not twisting.)
A delay in treatment, greater than 6 hours or more, if the dog survives this far will decrease chance of survival.
Precautions that the owner can make:
Feed small meals, 2/3 times a day.
Place a large rock or stone into bowl or use bowls with lumps in them. This will discourage/ reduce the act of airphagia when feeding.
Checking dog 2 - 4 hours after feeding (Glickman et al. 2000).
Prevent large consumption of water (Bhatia et al. 2010).
Leave at least 1 hour either side of meal before exercising.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks for that info, you can't have too much information on bloat My worst nightmare having a gsd with irritable bowel and other oesophagus problems.

I always worry after a meal of kibble I always try and give some larger bits of meat either before or after. I don't worry too much when she has had a meal without kibble. Water is a problem, if she drinks too much, up it comes, but then that's a good thing, I'd rather that than bloat. I feed 4 meals a day, would never give this dog one meal I always exercise before feeding and leave it at least half an hour, or until she's calmed right down before a feed.

Nightmare with dogs susceptible to this isn't it, but forewarned is forearmed.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2013, 12:27 PM
I've seen this described as the 'mother of all emergencies' for dogs.

Was reading also that dogs with a 'happy' disposition are less prone? And aggressive dogs more prone?

But interesting that it used to be advised to RAISE the feeding dishes and that is now said to increase the risk?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2013, 09:36 PM
It's a dreadful condition, and any information which might help to prevent it is a good thing. I have to say that I would never dream of feeding any dog just one big meal a day, but it is very interesting that "they" have now changed their minds about feeding from a raised bowl. I wonder what the reasoning is behind this new thinking.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2013, 09:54 PM
The info comes from a veterinary run canine first aid group, I recently did a first aid course with them and of course one of the majors topics was bloat and how they are still not entirely sure why it happens.

I agree though any info is important as it can be fatal in such a short time
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-11-2013, 10:01 PM
I'd heard about the raised feeding bowls not being relevant, but never about kibble, although of course I can see the sense in it, all the chemicals and additives churning around inside with copious amounts of water (which they drink in vast quantities because the kibble is dry) is bound to cause problems.
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Thank you Imana..
I lost my Beautiful Jeager to Bloat. 18 mths ago (may 25th)
He did eat dry kibble, he was on Steroids for a slight graze on his hock, they were prescribed to stop the itching. It was the last day of the treatment,too!!!! He also drank too much water after his last meal. (sleep tight big fella)
I found out much more about it since then. I am now blessed with Little Rhodi. He was on dry kibble and drank like mad, when i first got him. I was also told by a very kind friend, and GSD owner, trainer, breeder etc etc. That a Dog will not get bloat, if you fully soak the kibble first.
I cover Rhodi's with a slightly warm water before i take him out. When we return the water has been fully soaked up.
So i feed him Twice a day ( morning and evening ) i add half a tin of Sardines in tomato juice with each meal, plus a tspn full of Apple Cider Vinegar. I also take water with me, on every walk, so i encourage him to drink little and often.
i am determined the same thing will not happen to Rhodi. He is also fed from the floor. NOT raised bowls
Thank you for your post. It's helped me to talk about it Properly, for the first time since it happened. I hope it helps others to avoid it happening to their Dogs.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 09:29 AM
I feed Arden Grange kibble and AG themselves advise soaking the kibble for at least 25 minutes before feeding, which I do. I had heard about not raising the bowl some time ago so that isn't new advice.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2013, 10:55 AM
I came across the raised bowl issie aboit 7 yeRs ago it wasn't firmed up then though p
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
I feed Arden Grange kibble and AG themselves advise soaking the kibble for at least 25 minutes before feeding, which I do. I had heard about not raising the bowl some time ago so that isn't new advice.
It might not be new to you........
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >