Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eriksen
New Member!
Male 

06-11-2013, 07:42 PM

Swollen and discolored eyelids.

My Rhodesian Ridgeback has changed color on one of her eyelids and I need to know what this can be. The breeder told me that it could be Entropion, but it doesn´t look like the eyelids are bending inwards.

Are there other reasons for this change in color and form of eyelids on dogs?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Think its best to have a vet check to get a proper diagnosis and appropriate treatment.If it is Entropion and not treated,that can lead to complications,corneal ulcers etc.It can be treated successfully.Fingers crossed he's ok
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2013, 12:19 PM
A swollen eyelid could also be due to a sting or an insect bite.

I don't know much about Rhodesian Ridgebacks but do have experience of Shar-Pei who due to their heavily wrinkled faces often need entropion surgery.

How old is your dog? If she's a puppy and it'is due to the skin of her eyebrows pressing on her eyelids then a simple tacking to lift the skin is all that is needed because as they get older the puppy will "grow" into their skin. (My Pei puppy had her eyes tacked at 7 weeks old ... she's now 18 weeks old and has had no further problems)

An older dog can suffer from spastic entropion which happens suddenly and which, for example, can be caused by a cold wind or dust in the air. The eyelids turn inwards and as has already been mentioned the eyelashes can scratch the cornea which if left untreated become ulcerated. (This is what happened to my late Pei when she was 18 months old).

In either case you need to consult a vet but in the meantime bathe your dog's eyes with warm camomile tea. To lubricate the eyes you can use Golden Eye Ointment or Corneregel which you can buy over the counter at any pharmacy.