View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Oh good. Be sure to come let us know what they say. Good luck.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Toffee saw the new Vet today.

She was very thorough with the examination. Said the toe joint was enlarged but as he felt no pain, then keep him on lead for 4wks if he is lame then she wants to see him & possibly amputate the toe.

I would not want him operated before Christmas as we are
are going to stay with my sister who has stairs & it's impossible to stop him from charging up & down them, so he will be on lead until we get home in the New Year. And then fingers crossed.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Well you must be relieved to know it isn't just going to continue as is indefinitely. Here's hoping he won't need the op. But if he does I think you are making the right decision to wait until you are back in your own home. Good luck. Poor Toffee.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Hi Yvonne what a nuisance this keeps happening to poor Tofffee , I hope things are resolved soon one way or another...
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Oh this is very interesting as we think Dillon did something similar when a puppy coming off the sofa. He was fine straight after the incident but within a couple of hours couldn't weight bear on the leg I didn't make the connection to the toe and thought he had strained the leg. We took him to the vet that evening and the vet did the draw test and said possible cruciate damage he was 6 months old then and to rest him for a month or more it took that long for the appointment for an orthopaedic vet at the vet school to see him.
In the mean time I mentioned it to his breeder who was shocked he was diagnosed with possible cruciate damage being so young and everything being so springy other breeders she contacted also agreed this was unlikely so she recommended getting the toe checked out as it had started to show signs by the next day of looking odd.
Vet disagreed and said it was congenital I mentioned all his toes were fine when he came home with us but she wouldn't refer for a possible fracture so we had to wait.
On the day of the appointment the orthopaedic vet watched him move up and down the corridor and said she doubted it was cruciate but mild hip dysplasia which he is diagnosed with officially now. I also asked her to x-ray the toe which after looking at it she agreed to do it was damaged and as he was so young healed quickly into a slightly deformed shape and already had early signs of joint disease.
She was reluctant to operate and said if it doesn't give him trouble then leave it be and use a good joint supplement for the hips and the toe.
Neither seem to bother him overly sometimes if we walk him longer he does start to drag the toes of the left hind leg due to that being the leg that has has the luxating hip joint but to be honest for 18 months he is 2 now he has not shown any signs of distress with either toe or hip maybe when a lot older he will and if he does we will the re-assess the situation.
For now he runs and jumps about like a total loony.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2013, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=Lynn;2756715]Oh this is very interesting as we think Dillon did something similar when a puppy coming off the sofa. He was fine straight after the incident but within a couple of hours couldn't weight bear on the leg I didn't make the connection to the toe and thought he had strained the leg. We took him to the vet that evening and the vet did the draw test and said possible cruciate damage he was 6 months old then and to rest him for a month or more it took that long for the appointment for an orthopaedic vet at the vet school to see him.
In the mean time I mentioned it to his breeder who was shocked he was diagnosed with possible cruciate damage being so young and everything being so springy other breeders she contacted also agreed this was unlikely so she recommended getting the toe checked out as it had started to show signs by the next day of looking odd.
Vet disagreed and said it was congenital I mentioned all his toes were fine when he came home with us but she wouldn't refer for a possible fracture so we had to wait.
On the day of the appointment the orthopaedic vet watched him move up and down the corridor and said she doubted it was cruciate but mild hip dysplasia which he is diagnosed with officially now. I also asked her to x-ray the toe which after looking at it she agreed to do it was damaged and as he was so young healed quickly into a slightly deformed shape and already had early signs of joint disease.
She was reluctant to operate and said if it doesn't give him trouble then leave it be and use a good joint supplement for the hips and the toe.
Neither seem to bother him overly sometimes if we walk him longer he does start to drag the toes of the left hind leg due to that being the leg that has has the luxating hip joint but to be honest for 18 months he is 2 now he has not shown any signs of distress with either toe or hip maybe when a lot older he will and if he does we will the re-assess the situation..[/QUOTE
For now he runs and jumps about like a total loony...[/QUOTE

Years ago my Lurcher turned on the spot & hurt his hip he was 5mths we rested him for 1mth. vet said he was sound. But I was not happy with way he moved so he saw a Chiropractic on & off for years. He lived a full life until he was 9yrs, when I saw another Chiro who thought he had strained his Spinal Cord @ 5mths. Vet did suggest a operation but after a chat with the Chiro we decided it happened too long ago to opp. He went on until he was 11yrs. It was only the last 2yrs that his off lead time was restricted, (not running with other dogs.)

Hope Dillon carry as well as he is now.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2