View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
samsid
New Member!
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:14 AM

Anyone use tick treatement Parastar Plus on dog with cats in same household?

Has anyone used Parastar Plus on their dog while they have cats in the same household? Because Parastar Plus contains cyphenothrin, the instructions say to keep your dog away from other dogs and cats for 24 hours after application.

My vet recommended this product along with Sentinel for heart worm prevention but I have two cats and wonder just how separate I need to keep my dog from my cats. They usually hang out in the same room and sleep in the bedroom at night. The cats do not lick the dog.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insights.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Hello and welcome to Dogsey.

We have some American members on here but I think you'll find that ticks are a bigger problem where you are than they are in the UK (they certainly are where I am in Cyprus) and it may be that different products are used to combat the problem.

I hope you get some useful advice but to be honest I think you should ask the vet who recommended this product to be on the safe side.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Found some info for you here:
full article:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/parastar-plus-89-132-lbs.html

But it does say this:
Separate the treated dog from all other dogs and cats for 24 hours after application. Cats and dogs that actively groom or engage in close physical contact with treated dog may be at risk for serious harmful effects.
There is a customer helpline phone number on the website page:
samsid
New Member!
Female 

05-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Thank you for the replies and information. I have a follow-up appointment with the vet later this week and will ask the same question.

Unfortunately ticks are the way of life here in Southeastern Pennsylvania. Sometimes these products work and other times they don't, just don't want to kill my cats in the process of trying a new product.

Thanks again!
samsid
New Member!
Female 

05-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Here is what I learned today in case anyone else ever needs this information.

1. Called Novartis: Concern is that cat will ingest Parastar Plus either by grooming the dog or coming into contact with Parastar Plus on the dog and then grooming themselves, before it dries. Inhalation of some fumes from it was not a real concern per Novartis.

2. Called Vet: echoed same thing as Novartis.

So tonight I will treat my dog with Parastar Plus and make sure my cats do not somehow ingest it and that they stay clear of the dog.

Previously used Frontline Plus but did occasionally find engorged ticks on my dog; I am hopeful that this product will work better and not harm my cats.