Female 

05-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Oh no! Poor little guy
Hope he gets over it soon, and hope you are ok too x
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

05-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Hope he is lots better now. Poor wee soul.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Poor Flash, I too thought it was this tummy bug that is doing the rounds, now it has turned into this HGE again.
So sorry Jenny, hope the vet sorts it out as you have caught it early, good job you are so very vigilant.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Poor Flash, bless him. Hope the vet can help and get him sorted. It must be a nightmare for you.
Hugs to Flash and best give one to Rucksack, hope he's OK xx
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the lovely messages - it really makes a difference.

Back from the vet now and Flash asleep on a duvet on the settee in the kitchen. I saw my trusted vet who confirmed HGE as he had another haemorrhage while we were there. There's no mistaking it anyway.

He was seen immediately (without an appointment) and given a larger dose than normal antibiotic oral tablet. Oral rather than injection so that the abs go straight to the gut and also an anti-sickness injection. When I mentioned the bug going round he said he hadn't heard of any bug and this is the time of year that dogs get a lot of upset tums from rotting fruit. The estate here is covered in apples and rotting pears etc Flash will be more prone to developing HGE when he gets an upset tum and the fact that both of mine are dreadful scavengers when out is just very unfortunate Maybe a muzzle will be in order

I'm to keep up with the antepsin but to lay off codeine and canikur for two days. I'm to offer him a small amount of his normal food (I'll probably soak it) but not to offer him any other food .. rice, chicken etc anything he's not use to having. The vets attitude is if he turns his nose up at his usual food that is him saying he's not ready for it and not to offer anything else. I mentioned that Flash had eaten a huge lump of moss and he said that was no problem and perfectly natural as dogs with excess acid will eat moss, grass, cardboard ... anything to soak up the acid.

He's given me 10 days worth of abs. Five days worth for now and 5 days worth to keep in stock for next time . If Rucksack catches it off Flash (which I don't think he will now) I'm to call in for more abs.

He's fast asleep so I'm going to try and have a little doze too as I didn't get any sleep last night.

Thanks again.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Good News then Jenny, so Flash was eating the moss to self medicate, I think we often forget that dogs do know the things that will help them. I remember when the babies came down with that tummy bug and Sasha started eating charcoal from round the fire, and I realised thats what I should be giving her, young as she was, she knew what to do.
Have a nice Nanny Nap. Off on the Bone Run, but first got to give Mabs her lunch and hand out bones, hopefully there'll still be one of her for at least 12 hours!!!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:31 AM
(( hugs)) to Flash..poor boy
JENNY,really hope he manages to recover quickly,its so worrying when they are not well. Flash is in safe hands with you
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2013, 11:49 AM
I have only just read this thread Jenny as I was computer-less from late yesterday afternoon until a short while ago.

So sorry to hear that poor Flash has HGE again and send loads and loads of Get Well Quickly {{{vibes}}} to him. xxx
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
He had it in August (when we almost lost him) and once a dog has had it once they are more prone to it again and if you've witness it you don't mistake it again .
Oh Jenny I'm so sorry to be reading this, I hope the vets can give him something to make it better. Rianna never eats moss although she has sometimes found some dead birds but usually just carries them around and then looses interest.

It must be a worry that having once had this HGV thing then they are prone to get it again. I must say that I'm surprised the moss could set it off but of course we don't know what's growing in that stuff do we
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Hello Jenny.
Well I'm thinking the news is at least as good as could be expected for poor Flash. Also thinking yes - a muzzle might be the lesser of two evils in future (at least for times like now when rotting apples are everywhere?) I expect you, like me, don't relish the thought of having to use one though.

From everything I read about this now it seems it's just pure BAD LUCK for any dog that is affected by it. And just absolutely ROTTEN that if they've had it once it is more likely to hit them again.

Your vet sounds great. Very important to have confidence in your vet at times like these.

I know it's a worry when they don't eat (esp. if they are a bit skinny to start with) but also know how easy it is to end up trying 'all sorts' of stuff one after the other in an effort to get them to eat 'something'. So I think your vet's advice is good. I remember mine telling me that if she didn't want it even if she only ate the tablespoon of biotic yoghurt with the powder on it for a while it would be OK and not to worry about giving her fish or chicken and rice etc. until she was a lot better'. Once she was eating and I was wanting to build her up a bit he said chicken was a lot better for that than fish (not that fish would hurt her).
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >