Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spankey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:01 AM

Update On Splenic Tumor

Sorry haven't updated sooner, each one of you that have took the time to reply have given me great support. Thanks so much. Surgery has been ruled out for bigboy and just letting him enjoy what time he has left. Its really hard to come to terms with, but I'm trying to show him all the love possible and hoping I'm doing the right thing. The vet said his tumor would eventually rupture and he would bleed out so recommend euthanize before that happens. I cant seem to let myself do that just yet. Bigboy still has quality of life and doesn't show any pain he eats and drinks good. He is losing his muscle mass rather quickly and his hair really bad, but he still plays and seems to enjoy life as of now so hopefully I am not being selfish because it is so hard to give him up. Any advice on knowing when its time before he is in pain and if the tumor would be causing his hair loss would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for everyones support y'all have been great. Bigboy means the world to me.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 08:02 AM
It's so hard timing that awful decision - I do really feel for you. I went through something similar with my dog who had bone cancer, went through amputation and four sessions of chemo and appeared to be absolutely fine until more tumours were discovered in his rear leg and pelvis. All I could do was dose him up with painkillers and wait.......... I lasted about ten days knowing I was just putting off the inevitable so had him pts. This was 18 months ago and I'm still not sure it was the right decision at the right time but I have to live with it. Although Bigboy is your primary concern, make sure it is right for you as well.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 09:02 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. But happy to hear he still has some good quality of life. You will know when the time comes I am sure.

Sorry to hear about your dog too 5dogpam.

As for what 5dogpam said about her dog - I strongly believe what they say about 'better a bit too soon than even one day too late' when it comes to making that decision for your dog.
spankey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks for sharring your information and I'm very sorry you went through that with your dog.
spankey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I'm so sorry to hear this. But happy to hear he still has some good quality of life. You will know when the time comes I am sure.

As for what 5dogpam said about her dog - I strongly believe what they say about 'better a bit too soon than even one day too late' when it comes to making that decision for your dog.
I hope I will know because I don't want him to suffer at all. He is such a good boy and I love him with all my heart. Thanks for your concern.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Hey there,so good to get an update,was thinking about you both I'm sure you'll not miss a minute of this extra special time with Bigboy. You both have an amazing bond and I think it will be that which will finally help you to make the decision.Bigboy will let you know when its time,you'll know.
Please keep in touch,we're all here for you(( hugs))
spankey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post

Thank you so much the support from the people here has really helped me through this with bigboy. I will keep updating as we go down this horrible road. My grandson is 5, he has down syndrome and really close to Bigboy so having a hard time explaining to him also. He cant understand why Bigboy don't want to play with himlike before and why he is sick. Thank you once again.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:49 AM
HUGS, it is very hard on us when their time is approaching and worrying about when to let them go, been through it more times than I wanted. At the moment just build up the happy memories, he will let you know when he wants to go, mine all did apart from one, she wanted to go at home in her bed so that is what she did.

I once took a dog from a pound, I felt really sorry for him, he was old and very ill, when I took him to the vet the following day he was so full of tumours that he had to be pts. Another I fostered for a rescue, again came straight from a pound, we were told he had 2 lumps on him, he was covered in them, all shapes and sizes and also had 12 seizures in 5 days, the vet thought the cancer had reached his brain, another too far got but at least he had 5 days of TLC.

I know you won't do what their owners did, and will find the strength when the time comes and you will also have the support of us on here to help you through it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by spankey View Post
Thank you so much the support from the people here has really helped me through this with bigboy. I will keep updating as we go down this horrible road. My grandson is 5, he has down syndrome and really close to Bigboy so having a hard time explaining to him also. He cant understand why Bigboy don't want to play with himlike before and why he is sick. Thank you once again.
You can be assured many of us have gone through the heartbreak you are going through now. Nothing we can say seems adequate. The price we pay for loving these animals of ours is the heartbreak when they leave us. In my view it is worth it.

Do keep us updated. That is heartbreaking also to read about your grandson. I had a similar problem when my little grandson was undergoing chemo for cancer and I had my little dog with me in the UK. I couldn't let her lick him and get all over him like he'd want her to - his immune system was virtually non existent by then.

You sound like a lovely dog owner and a really lovely grandparent too.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the update on Bigboy - it must be so hard for you. That final decision is such a difficult one to make but I suspect your strong bond with Bigboy will help you know when the time has come. Do keep us posted - we all know how heartbreaking this situation is for you.
Hugs to both you and Bigboy xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >