Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Northernsoulgirl View Post
Re giving an adult dog 'puppy food' I was always told you shouldn't do this as it will make them fat as puppy food is designed to 'build them up' while they are still growing. It's more 'maintenance' that's needed with an adult that has stopped growing.

I found this out because I stupidly thought 'puppy food' was labelled as such just because it was small bite size so therefore suitable for smaller adult dogs too.

Thanks Tang (new short name?) what you say makes sense. x

Chlosmum - I am looking at Acana over here. It seems to be the best on the market from my understanding, but it's very expensive so was hoping for a happy medium. As you say it's very annoying when you know what you want and someone is trying to hardsell you for their own reasons, something else.

Tikali - I looked at a link to them yesterday but yours was better. Still not sure about the best food apart from the Acana though...there is a large pet warehouse not too far from me so I may go down there and see what's available. I don't want to be ripped off but on the other hand I want the best I can afford for my dog....
Yes new short name! Everyone was changing their names at the time so I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon lol! Everyone called me Tang anyway.

I'm dreaming up a shortie for you now

Nor? (pronounced like the soup!)
NoSoul?
NosGirl? lol!

Seriously I think it was that you can request a name change to change it to your real name if it wasn't already in use (summat like that) but then Tang, nor Tangutica is my real name (my parents weren't that cruel)!

Now back to the dawg food. My last GSD was fed on CHAPPIE, Winalot biscuits and table scraps. She looked great on it too. I haven't used it for any dogs since but it is REALLY popular here in Cyprus - probably the best selling brand in the supermarkets - shelves are full of it and it does come in those HUGE tins still.

(probably get a barrage of posts saying it's muck but then ... I'm only saying ... as the saying goes!)
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Northernsoulgirl ..The dog food the shop assistant was trying to sell me was Farmina N&D Grain Free Dog Food (Dry) ... the N&D stands for Nice and Delicious.

I've since looked it up and compared it with Acana Grasslands on Dogfoodadvisor and according to the review there's very little difference between the two.

I then looked at the price of both from one Spanish supplier and there is a big difference ...

13kg Acana Grasslands 84.60 Euro

12kg N&D Chicken Adult 68.07 Euro

I'm not sure how the prices compare here in Hungary as we're not part of the eurozone but I'm certainly going to look into it.

Hope that helps.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 12:52 PM

sorry, but nooooooooooooooo............
Elaborate?
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Yes new short name! Everyone was changing their names at the time so I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon lol! Everyone called me Tang anyway.

I'm dreaming up a shortie for you now

Nor? (pronounced like the soup!)
NoSoul?
NosGirl? lol!

Seriously I think it was that you can request a name change to change it to your real name if it wasn't already in use (summat like that) but then Tang, nor Tangutica is my real name (my parents weren't that cruel)!

Now back to the dawg food. My last GSD was fed on CHAPPIE, Winalot biscuits and table scraps. She looked great on it too. I haven't used it for any dogs since but it is REALLY popular here in Cyprus - probably the best selling brand in the supermarkets - shelves are full of it and it does come in those HUGE tins still.

(probably get a barrage of posts saying it's muck but then ... I'm only saying ... as the saying goes!)
I thought I had read that Chappie is a good food in that it is easy to digest and if you have a dog with a dodgy tummy it's one of the best things to feed them....for every article promoting something you'll find the opposite which is why it's all so confusing I think. He isn't that keen on it, I have given it to him before now when trying to find something he would eat, the first couple of days were fine but after that he wasn't fussed.......also it's expensive here, well everything is apart from crap if I'm honest....there's no middle ground....and not so much choice as in the UK...
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 06:16 PM
I thought I had read that Chappie is a good food in that it is easy to digest and if you have a dog with a dodgy tummy it's one of the best things to feed them....for every article promoting something you'll find the opposite which is why it's all so confusing I think. He isn't that keen on it, I have given it to him before now when trying to find something he would eat, the first couple of days were fine but after that he wasn't fussed.......also it's expensive here, well everything is apart from crap if I'm honest....there's no middle ground....and not so much choice as in the UK...
Nowhere near the choice here either NSG. Bella gets frozen raw chicken once a day and kibble (one she likes) for the rest. But of course at her size whatever I fed her it wouldn't break the bank.

When I had a GSD her meals were about the size of Bella!
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Nowhere near the choice here either NSG. Bella gets frozen raw chicken once a day and kibble (one she likes) for the rest. But of course at her size whatever I fed her it wouldn't break the bank.

When I had a GSD her meals were about the size of Bella!
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2013, 09:19 AM
"My last GSD was fed on CHAPPIE, Winalot biscuits and table scraps. She looked great on it too. I haven't used it for any dogs since but it is REALLY popular here in Cyprus - probably the best selling brand in the supermarkets - shelves are full of it and it does come in those HUGE tins still. " From Tang.

Many vets recommend chappie with mixer such as Winalot as cost effective healthy feed, and yes it is the 2nd stage feed after upset tummy. We used Chappie with Coop mixer for a number of years on an elederly rescue with a sensitive tummy. Do you have a Coop as in UK supermarket?

The other cheap alternative would be Vitalin, which we used for GSD's at times when I was growong up. but added some cod liver oil and SA37 suppliment to. That dog food checker website looks good at a quick glance too.

Re the renaming yourself - what about NSG?
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Thanks Bobbie, but after the first couple of days he wasn't overkeen on the Chappie and I found I was throwing it away. We don't have the same supermarkets here as in the Uk, Friskies and brekkies are big over here. I've looked at the sites mentioned but they are mostly food in the Uk I think. The 'good' food over here is very expensive but I think I am just going to have to bite the bullet...
Animal Grace
New Member!
Male 

15-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Only solution I know to better nutrition with kibble is to add supplements. I use Mushroom Matrix, Healthy Blend. It is an organic mushroom blend powder that you might find over there or you could have a few jars shipped since it lasts a long time.
FluffHippo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Have you ever considered going raw? It is much cheaper than the top kibbles.
I would of recommended this as well. My two love raw.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >