Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by manydogz View Post
I give my dogs human jerky made in the USA and have had no problems with it.
The warning is about 'jerky' treats made in China Manydogz.

But there have been many cases of dogs coming to grief from chewing on any sort of rawhide or dried treats. I didn't even know about these dangers until it happened to my little dog last year.

And I've had dogs for over 30 years and the last one I had chewed on stuff like this almost every day without coming to harm.

When you've had a bad experience you don't take any risks with it in future however many other people have no problems.

People have been throwing sticks they find when out walking for dogs for centuries but only in recent years have some of the dangers of doing this been highlighted. With some horrific injuries to dogs where the stick has pierced their throat or got lodged. Recent article about dangers from sticks published this year ....

Robin Hargreaves, President elect of the British Veterinary Association, said owners risk causing 'horrendous problems’ to their pets.
He spoke out after new guidance for vets suggested they should use modern scanners to detect splinters from sticks that would otherwise be missed.
But Mr Hargreaves said owners should only use rubber sticks from pet shops, balls or Frisbees.
At his own practice in Lancashire, he operates on around one dog a month because of stick injuries and estimates most vet practices do the same.
“Never throw sticks for dogs,” he advised. “It is a violent incident that causes real damage. We have some horrendous problems. Even if you do it now, never do it again.”
And I'm reading on an American website that there is no legal requirement for 'country of origin' to be stated on PET treats. Also this with regard to the Jerky danger stuff ...

Of 22 "Priority 1" cases listed by the FDA late last year, 13 cited Waggin’ Train or Canyon Creek Ranch jerky treats or tenders, both produced by Nestle Purina PetCare Co., the records show.
Another three listed Milo’s Kitchen Home-style Dog Treats, produced by the Del Monte Corp. The rest listed single brands or no brand.
Priority 1 cases are those in which the animal is aged 11 or younger and medical records that document illness are available, an FDA spokeswoman said. In many cases, samples of the suspect treats also are collected
Must say some of those brand names wouldn't make me think they were from China!
babyfloyd06
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Hello, i am new here. Im sure most of you have heard about the China dog treats in the news lately.
My dog Floyd and I are victims of Waggin Train Chicken Jerky. We have been on the local news, the TODAY show and my most recent is this link here, it was done by Tokyo Broadcasting in Washington DC they came to my house and did an in depth interview. I am BEGGING all of you to please take a look at this video. It was broadcast in Japan 2 days ago. I am trying to get as many views on it as i possibly can, the more USA people that watch the better chances it has to come over to the USA. The narration is in Japanese, when i speak it is in English. Excellent interview here, will be worth your time to watch.
PLEASE WATCH AND SHARE WITH EVERYONE YOU KNOW.

http://youtu.be/K5v3zWcX-QI

Thank you!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2013, 10:17 PM
We have already had the warning on the forum. I him most of us are aware. In fact some of us won't even use the non Chinese ones.

I'm not sure why you want your youtube vid to go viral but of course if it does you will make a lot of money!

The warnings have been in the national press and on the news already.
babyfloyd06
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2013, 11:50 PM
I want it to go viral because it was only aired in Japan, if it gets enough USA views it could be brought over here in english.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2013, 12:44 AM
Well I repeat ... the dangers are well known. And not every dog owner looks at YouTube all the time. National Press and dog interest forums are far more likely to get the message across.

Of course everyone who has made a YouTube vid would hope for it to 'go viral' like the gangnam style and crazy frog stuff - and become a millionaire!

Have a read of this (if you haven't already researched it)

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/mone...th-viral-vids/

YouTube Rich list! You can pick up some tips that will be far more effective in making your video go 'viral' than just keep on about it on the dog interest forums!
babyfloyd06
New Member!
Female 

08-11-2013, 01:51 AM
I did not make the video.....a broadcasting company in JAPAN did.
I stated in the beginning "Im sure most of you are aware"
I just want this video to possibly get enough views to come back to the USA in english. Not trying to be famous if thats what your implying. Any of my friends can tell you that my determination to spread awareness after the loss of my dog is all i care about.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by babyfloyd06 View Post
Hello, Im sure most of you have heard about the China dog treats in the news lately.
My dog Floyd and I are victims of Waggin Train Chicken Jerky. We have been on the local news, the TODAY show and my most recent is this link here, it was done by Tokyo Broadcasting in Washington DC they came to my house and did an in depth interview. I am BEGGING all of you to please take a look at this video. It was broadcast in Japan 2 days ago. I am trying to get as many views on it as i possibly can, the more USA people that watch the better chances it has to come over to the USA. The narration is in Japanese, when i speak it is in English. Excellent interview here, will be worth your time to watch.
PLEASE WATCH AND SHARE WITH EVERYONE YOU KNOW.

http://youtu.be/K5v3zWcX-QI

Thank you!
Your link does not appear to be in a format that can be opened, but I am really sorry to hear about Floyd and yourself. However, as this is a UK based Forum I do not know how we can help get more people in the US to watch the video.

Perhaps you could find a US based Forum on which to post your request?

If there has been an FDA recall/warning about this product then it is quite probable that it would have been picked up already and posted on such a Forum.

Good Luck.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Mine only get either home made treats, filled kongs (portion of their normal food inside) or carrots.

Watched like hawks while they have them because even a humble carrot can be a choke hazard.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2013, 09:06 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your poor dog. And sorry I did think it was your video. I understood the biggest problem with these imported treat chews was on health and hygiene grounds but, as has been said, ANY chew of that type can choke a dog. I don't use them at all now.

There are other hazards too - some chews marketed to keep breath or teeth clean have caused terrible diarrhoea in dogs. Even humble sticks found when out walking have resulted in dog deaths - lots of horrible graphics of that one out there on the web. And smooth rubber balls of a size that could get stuck in a dog's throat.

On the other thread about this I believe I found some info that says even some of the treats marketed as 'American' come from China now. Lets face it - it's quite difficult to find any consumer goods that don't come from China these days.

The hazards of these Chinese chews have been broadcast on the news in America for years now. Here's a link to one more recent news report:

Toxic Treats from China Killing US Dogs, Say Pet Owners
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toxic-...ry?id=15927579

The FDA issued its first warning about chicken jerky treats from China in 2007, in response to the first wave of consumer complaints, and then issued a second in 2008. When the FDA issued a third warning in late 2011, based on another increase in complaints that year, it asked consumers to report any other purported incidents directly to the agency. Since that update, hundreds of dog owners have come forward to share their concerns.
It's not as if this has been kept quiet - the warnings have been flying around for ages.
babyfloyd06
New Member!
Female 

11-11-2013, 05:02 PM
FDA: Post consumer warnings where we can see them!

If you would like a warning notice next to China dog treats and food please take 20 seconds to sign this FDA petition!!
They will be back on the shelves very soon!

http://www.change.org/petitions/fda-...e-can-see-them
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >