View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gillbox
New Member!
Female 

13-10-2013, 10:29 AM

Vegetables in dog food not being digested.

Hi there, I have a six month boxer girl called Lexi and was wondering if you could give me some advice or recommendations.

I have had problems finding a food to suit her, her breeder weaned on well beloved but we found it gave her terrible soft poohs and lots of wind

Tried burns but she wouldn't eat it, then I put her on nature diet which she eats quite well but her poohs were still soft at times and the vegetables in the food just go straight through her.

She is now eating wainwrights cereal free food which is suiting her and I'm trying cereal free wet food from Lily's Kitchen to mix in but again the vegetables seem to go through the way they went in!

Is this normal? Has anyone else found this?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2013, 10:58 AM
I feed a lot of vegetables to mine, sweet corn, peas etc need mashing to make them more easily digested. Courgettes and marrow need peeling or mashing, actually most vegetables do need mashing up a bit. Lettuce and leafy veg needs chopping very finely too.

I find if I don't it comes out much as it went in.

They love veggies though so I find it worth the effort to do a bit of prep.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-10-2013, 12:55 PM
My two are fed on a "home cooked", no grain, no commercial pfroducts diet .... either meat, poultry, eggs or fish mixed with a selection of vegetables ... whatever is season at the time. I lightly cook the veggies in the liquid in which I've cooked their meat, drain them,then puree them and mix them in with the rest of the food.

I don't give them cabbage as I find it gives my larger dog wind. If your dog has sloppy poos you could try adding pumpkin .... I find butternut is the best because when cooked its not as watery as some of the other pumpkins.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Brussel sprouts and baked beans are the windiest we find, Mollie can be a quite rocket propelled when she has either of those !
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Put any vegetables through the blender first to break the cellulose walls down on them so dogs can digest them otherwise they do come out the way they went in.
gillbox
New Member!
Female 

13-10-2013, 02:18 PM
The vegetables are already in the dog meat....nature diet and Lily's kitchen wet tins....anyone feed these brands and have found this?
I would love to fed a home prepared diet, particularly a raw based one but for convenience I need to fed something that she can eat in kennels as she goes in for day boarding a couple of times a week when I'm working.
Love this site it is full of useful information from like minded dog lovers
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-10-2013, 02:24 PM
My lot are raw fed and when they go in kennels each January they take their food in with them, bagged up and labelled, it's stored in their freezer and fed as I would feed it at home. My lot have been scrounging carrots and celery while I was making soup and I expect that to reappear later but their poo will still be solid. I don't know what to suggest except buy a food with no veggies in it.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2013, 02:49 PM
The only thing recognisable I see reappear is carrots after they've had them for chewing on

I got some Lukullus canned food for my lot to try. It has some fruits/veggies in there, but they dont seem to be as ...prominent? as in some other brands. Might be worth a try?
Cheaper than Lily's Kitchen too lol
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by gillbox View Post
The vegetables are already in the dog meat....nature diet and Lily's kitchen wet tins....anyone feed these brands and have found this?
I would love to fed a home prepared diet, particularly a raw based one but for convenience I need to fed something that she can eat in kennels as she goes in for day boarding a couple of times a week when I'm working.
Love this site it is full of useful information from like minded dog lovers

Well you would imagine a commercial dog food company would know they need to mash up the veg to make it digestible. TBH I would think twice about feeding mine those brands if they haven't prepared the food to be easily digestible
Hiker
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-10-2013, 03:49 PM
I feed mine raw cauliflower, broccoli and carrots with his kibble, and he gets a whole carrot to chew on after a meal(better than any toothbrush).
The only thing that seems to go through him is the carrots.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >