Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 01:43 PM

My garden visitors this morning (birds)

We had quite a frenzie of feeding in the tree when the snow started falling heavilly. Lots of blackbirds, starlings, tits, finches, the jays visited but I wasn't quick enough to catch those, but my piece de resistance was the visit of a lesser (or greater??) spotted woodpecker, don't see those often, along with a green woodpecker.

I used my new lens for the first time as this tree is right up the top of the garden, but of course, I was standing in the kitchen, so taken through a window, not very good, but hopefully you can see them.
The green woodpecker

The lesser spotted

He stayed for ages and they're normally quite timid
and some thrushes, the missle type I think, along with the spotted undercarriage of the woodpecker on the right?

and THEN, the most beautiful fox appeared, so big, so healthy, and it turned to face us as it walked along the top edge of the wall, but blooming Dave couldn't fathom the camera out quick enough and it disappeared down the big hole under the fence tcht!
shirls
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Fabulous pictures Thanks for sharing them .
Shirls x
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Great photos
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Fabulous pics ... I love watching the birds.
The snow is falling quite thick here so I have been feeding the birds over the last few days, we have a stunning male Blackbird coming 3 times a day. Of course our Robin is here as usual too
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 04:58 PM
I've never been priveledged enough to have both types of woodpecker descending on our garden, but of course, this woodland just over the road is the reason.

I cannot believe just how much they ate this morning, I filled that tray till it was piled up high no less than 4 times and it was all gone so I put out a packet of digestives,. all crumbled up, all along the top wall, and within minutes they all came down and munched the lot!

I can see this is gonna be an expensive winter if this snow lasts, but I hope I've managed to keep a few of them warm tonight
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 05:14 PM
I sit for ages watching my bird table I get loads of birds all sorts of tits, jays, black birds even a pesky squirrel - although he hasn't been around for a while probably hibernating now with the WHOLE wire hanger thing full of peanuts

Never had the pleasure of a woodpecker but we do have a young pair of some type of bird of prey, can't get close enough to figure out what they are yet

The robin has Sussex out when I feed the horses and follows me down to the paddock, watches and waits, as soon as the horses start spilling their speedy beet he's in cleaning up after them
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Great pics, you must have a good lens to capture those birds.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

18-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Great pics Helena!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Wonderful pictures Nechda!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
Great pics, you must have a good lens to capture those birds.
Thanks Gerry, it's the 300mm Sony lens for my slr which Dave bought me for Christmas, but of course, it would have been a whole lot better if it didn't have to cope with the dirty kitchen window lol!

dave got the robin close up, so I'll see what he got, as they are my fave's the little robins and I have two in the garden as regulars.

Thanks all, please don't forget to feed yours, they need mountains of food in this terrible weather to keep them warm overnight otherwise they die
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >