Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-06-2005, 03:38 PM

Oh dear...

When i got Abe,i knew people would look at him negativly because he was a Rottweiler,but after 6 good years-people round here got to know and trusted him wholeheartly.Hopefuly,some people will now look upon the humble Rottie with a new perspective and not believe everything the tabloids say about them as a breed.

But,earlier on while reading one of our local rags-there in print is a story about a Bullmastiff which had attacked a young child and his mother.I know the dog has done wrong and will end up being PTS,but feel people will start stereotyping these now.The man who owns the dog has been told he will be looking at a prison term for lack of control and not having a secure garden.

I feel like im back at square one again.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Oh dear is the right words...

I truely hope things will not turn out like that, but unfortunately they always do, dont they?

But people living in your area knows you, right? And know the kind of person you are, right?? So its just back out there and let Vegas turn out to be a proof against the rumours..

Does that make sense at all?
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Totally agree with Jeanette Steve, if anyone can proove that all dogs are not the same, you can
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2005, 03:46 PM
It does make sense J, good words

Steve, people will always judge others for which breed they have, iget judged for having a terrier by some people! Enjoy your gorgeous boy, and try not to worry, because no matter how lovely vegas is, some people will be silly!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-06-2005, 03:59 PM
It does make me feel sad when people whitewash a particular breed with a horrific reputation and hopefuly,not many people read the article,but for those who have-im going to have to build a few bridges...
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2005, 04:05 PM
I take my 4 out in 2s ..usually the labs then the staffs.I get totally different reactions from the public a swell as other dog owners even though all four are really well behaved.This morning i had kids literally running uo to stroke poppy and daisy(labs) without even asking , which didnt impress me, but i can guarantee their parents wouldnt have let them if it was candy and buddy.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2005, 04:10 PM
it so upseting steve, when people like you put hard work in to the breeds rep that you own and some fool comes and ruines that! Im sure steve as you did with Abe you will do the same with Vagas and everyone will love him, how could you not!
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2005, 04:18 PM
steve i know how you feel about rotties
i feel the same

when we 1st moved here our neighbours didn,t like harley
with the woman across the road saying "omg it,s one of them beasts,well it will get pts with the amount of kids round here"
well we didn,t get off to a good start
and we have never spoken since that day

but the local kids love harley and he loves them
when we go walking kids run up to say hi

i,m glad i,m doing my bit to let people know the breed are just GREAT

Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Steve I am afraid there will always be the ignorant who have stereotype views on some breeds of dogs and various other people too..like those who dress in an odd way/anyone different from the norm. You just have to ignore the ill informed and make your own contribution to proving them wrong.
bullygirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Rotties are much like pits. They have this bad rep because of the bad things which always get publicly announced, but never the good things. I blame the media for a lot of the bad publicity. They jump on any opportunity for a story, and often make it sound worse than what it actually is. Any dog, of any breed is capable of attacking anyone. But you only hear of the ones which the media chooses to make an issue out of. Also the media seldom puts the emphasis of responsibility for said attack on the owner. it is almost always placed on the animal, and the breed which it is. Where it should be placed on the owner.

bullygirl