Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-11-2004, 09:01 AM

Pedigree

My sister gave me her Shih Tsu's pedigree, insurance details, vaccination card and all that stuff, just incase of an accident whilst she is away and I thought I would have a look for Ellies relatives for her, anyway it was only when I got the pedigree certificate out that I realised she wsn't KC registered, she is registered with the UK Pedigree dog registration, and I've never heard of it???? I've heard of the other one - Dog Lovers reg. is this the same sort of thing and is the pedigree worth nothing at all????

My sister was under the impression that Ellie was KC reg.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-11-2004, 09:06 AM
I would guess that this 'pedigree' is worth rather less than the paper it is written upon: http://www.theukdogclub.co.uk/
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-11-2004, 09:19 AM
I thought as much

I know my sister will love her with or without a pedigree, she's her little baby, but I also know she will be very annoyed as she payed £500 for a non registered pup!!!!! The breeder told her that the pup was pedigree registered and my sister has stupidly fallen for the fact that she thought she meant KC registered, how clever of the breeder is that! I think it would be very easy for any 1st time dog owner to be fooled into this one
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Just had another look at the certificate and my sis thought Ellie was 6 weeks old when she brought her home (which i was very annoyed about) but it turns out Ellie was only 5 weeks old, ohhhhh the poor baby How can breeders get away with this?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-11-2004, 09:37 AM
It really is unfortunate that so many people are taken advantage of in this way. I am sure that your sister's feeling for her little one will in no way change, but she would have every reason to be annoyed, a) at the deceit of the breeder and b) at herself for not pursuing the question of the registration. Hope she has no plans to breed or show !

Homing any pup, let alone a small breed, at 5-6 weeks is really beyoind the pale. Breeders get away with it due to the ignorance of the buyers, the cuteness factor of the puppies, and the breeders' ability to twist the truth. Conducting business in a cynical & uncaring manner is not illegal, even when it concerns living creatures.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2004, 09:50 AM
SB why do you mention no plans to breed? Of course you would never know until the dog is of age and has matured physically and mentally whether it is worthy of breeding but why should the fact that a dog is not KC registered put somebody off breeding? Sorry Dreamon if I am going of subject a bit here ops: .

I can see the deception part is completley wrong and infact in a smilar case a while back the breeder was made liable and had to refund a family (money - they kept the dog) who bought a dog on the pretence that it was KC registered. Obviously if your sister was looking for a KC registered dog then this is unfortunate but if she has no interest in showing (KC at least) then it shouldnt be of too much importance as long as the puppy remains healthy & happy just enjoy it being a pup and dont worry too much about what a piece of paper says.

I agree completley about rehoming a puppy at 5 weeks old, its not right and speaks volumes about the breeder as well as the lies they told.

I personally dont have KC registered dogs I dont like what they stand for and the breeds they have ruined I think they are mostly concernde with money (anybody seen the new KC credit card?) but I wont go into this here lol, I dont see it of much great importance and it certainly will not stop me breeding Cassy, her pedigree is sound and her health & conformation is perfect I am happy with that.

Laura
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Hi Laura, I would like to try and explain my view of the value of KC registration.

First of all I must concede that the KC system is not perfect. It relies upon the honesty of the breeders that are supplying the information. However, given that most people are honest, and the dishonest ones are in the minority, then most of the KC database will be accuate. So, it's the best we've got.

Therefor, a KC registered puppy can have it's heritage recorded and traced. This is something that other registries cannot offer. I am aware that some unrecognised breeds have registries where enthusiasts record information, but I have no knowledge of how that information is filed. The Kennel Club finances research into health issues, and records test results for public perusal.

The alternative registries, will register anything, pig crossed with bat!! The KC would not. The KC have guidelines, to which they hope sensible people will adhere, but these are not laws of the land, and idiots will take advantage of that.

A pedigree is not a puppy, it's simply a piece of paper with a list of names of family members on it. The KC can issue an official 'pedigree' using the information held on the database.

The Kennel Club has not ruined any breed, that has been done by breeders who have little knowledge of the breed, and have used animals of no virtue to produce inferior litters.

There is no short cut to experience, and in the time that takes, knowledge is gained.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2004, 11:22 AM
I don't like what they stand for ????????? wot u mean Laura ....and wot about KC credit card...
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2004, 11:22 AM
Great post Nursey well said & put together, I agree with some of your points and I do think it is a good think if you are that way inclined and the health testing is great a bit late for some breeds though lol, I think having a pedigree is great and some official recognition to back it up is also important but I just dont think that whether a dog is KC registered should dictate whether it is bred or not, after all its just a piece of paper and like I always say its not the papers that make the dog. It kind of implies that a non-KC dog is a little less than a KC dog im my eyes at least which we all know is not the case, that is what bugs me really. I have heard on other boards people who own KC dogs shouting the odds about not breeding a dog if its not KC registered which to me is a load of crap, if a dog is worthy of breeding its worthy of breeding regardless of whether its registered or not!

Having owned non-KC dogs, I am sick of people looking down their noses at me, not any of you on here but certain individuals over the years who seem to think KC registration is the bee all and end all.

I dont know how all the other registries work, for my breed at least there is a registry the SIBTC been in place for 14 years now, they only register pups from parents who have been registered this rule being in place for 10 years. My bitch is registered with them but only because her parents were and she was too, if I bought her now I dont think I would have wasted the £10, I know who she is and what her heritage is and thats enough for me. With or without this or KC registration I can trace my bitches pedigree back to dogs alive over 70 years ago.

I feel that the KC has ruined certain breeds along with breeders and judges they all play a hand in how a breed develops. Taking the EB as an example it has been ruined without a shadow of a doubt but again this is a different topic I think.

I know of at least 20 dogs who have had false papers and registered as a KC dog when they are not either by using dead dogs papers or registering a litter of pups as sired by a KC dog when infact they are sired by a non-KC dog, it happens all the time so whilst for record purposes and verifying history what happens about all the falsifying that goes on, then the historical records the KC have wont always be accurate either. They cant stop it from happening and believe me it happens all the time.

Your right a pedigree is just a piece of paper with some names on it, a pedigree can be issued by any registry or any breeder who knows the history of their dog, having KC "recognition" does not always ensure that this history is correct or that the dog is worth any more and that is the bit that bothers me. I just have a bit of a gripe I am taking over this post now I am sorry adn will stop here lol.

I am not saying nobody should have their dogs registered but am just trying to get accross that if the dog is healthy & happy and the family are pleased then whether it is registered with the KC is irrelevant apart from the deceipt on the breeders part which does stick in the throat. If the dog grows up to be an exceptional example of the breed and is healthy in every way then dont let the fact that it isnt KC registered dictate whether you do or dont decide to breed.

Once again thanks for your views on the matter it was a good post.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Inca
I don't like what they stand for ????????? wot u mean Laura ....and wot about KC credit card...
Hi Inca,

Its a bit long winded to go into and I have taken over this post enough Inca, its just opinions that I have and they are just that my opinions.........I dont really like many things about the KC but its a different post entirely and I will spare Dreamon from me ranting on any more & taking over the post as I have done above, i feel quite bad about that.....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >