Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chris57
New Member!
Female 

20-06-2011, 05:59 PM

Moulting

my shar pei Alfie is having a bad moult and he is scratching and itching all the time. Anybody got any ideas I have tried piriton and calendula cream but it's not working
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi, have a look at the thread under this one regarding allergies, is it possible he could be reacting to something in his food ? what do you feed ?
chris57
New Member!
Female 

20-06-2011, 06:11 PM
just changed his food. no wheat, gluten , dairy etc. He is now on awtarky. but his skin is so dry, wondering what kind of moisteriser I could use
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by chris57 View Post
just changed his food. no wheat, gluten , dairy etc. He is now on awtarky. but his skin is so dry, wondering what kind of moisteriser I could use
My lurcher suffers with dry skin and itchiness, i put salmon oil in her food, I use Healthy Hounds i got it on Ebay but there are a few good ones, Kronch Salmon Oil and Fish 4 Dogs do one too. May be worth a try ?

I bathe her occasionally in a shampoo called Exmarid which is very good.
chris57
New Member!
Female 

20-06-2011, 06:21 PM
thanks for that.I will look into it. He has fish oil, garlic oil and coconut oil on his food every day and he was fine until he started to moult. His fur was lovely and soft
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by chris57 View Post
thanks for that.I will look into it. He has fish oil, garlic oil and coconut oil on his food every day and he was fine until he started to moult. His fur was lovely and soft
My greyhound it moulting badly at the moment too, its the season for it i think. They have two main moults a year.
Hope the salmon oil works out, you could try giving him sardines with his food too, mine love them !
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Have you put the central heating on with the colder weather we've been having? This can dry out the air and irritate dog's coats. A bowl of water by the radiators can help.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:11 PM
You could always try him on yumega oil, i've had my BC boy on it because he was very itchy; its worked a treat and his coat is beautiful and shiny too

Jann xx
chris57
New Member!
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:55 PM
i will try these all out and let you know what works on alfie. thank you all for your suggestions
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Our two are itchy at the moment - they have grass allergies. Its quite common & unfortunately grass grows - spring/summer & autumn

Bathing in a nice mild oatmeal shampoo - oatmeal is soothing & doesnt dry the coat out. Bathing helps loosen & remove a coat thats shedding - ours were bathed at the weekend & we got rid of lots of loose shedding hair
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >