View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 05:38 PM
When I did mine I had a few rejected as the KC said they were what a lot of people called their dogs, so I played with my dogs names and got Kalynta after Kalli and Winter, I had to change a couple of letters, but I really liked the end result. It's not too long and goes well with some of the names I have ear marked for any puppies I breed
The other thing you could do is an anagram of your name, my other choice was Yennep, my surname spelt backwards..... although my poor Mother-in-law didn't quite get it

Good Luck, I must say the KC was brilliant and I was on the phone a couple of times getting advice about it.
monster hunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Kennel club registered dogs (generally full pedigrees) have a Kennel Club registered name. I have two dogs bred by the Aldabrook Kennel and I have since added my Kennel Name (also known as Affix)

Max's registered name is Aldabrook Spring Twilight at Rackens.

Max is his pet name
Aldabrook his breeders Affix/Kennel Name
Spring Twilight - KC Name
at Rackens (my Kennel name/affix)

Each breeder/kennel has a UNIQUE Kennel name/affix.

Hope this helps.

In agility dogs that are not already KC registered need to be added to the activity register in order to compete - this includes any pedigree dogs that aren't kc registered or cross breeds.

I'm not sure regarding Kennel Names in this instance - I think some agility enhusiasts have one and others don't - not my expertise - sorry - sure someone has more expertise than me on this. But you do need to register a unique name to compete.
when i picked daphni's pedigree name i put her pet name in there "scooby doo's daphni" didnt get a choice with asbo. the kennel name is whats unique to you, so having it at the front of the dogs name is just saying you own it.
Seems like a strange way of doing things to be but thanks for clearing it up.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by monster hunter View Post
Seems like a strange way of doing things to be but thanks for clearing it up.
Not really, most registered animals (cats, horses, even cows & sheep etc) have a similar system.

They also have registration numbers, but who would be able to remember those? So.... they have to be named something, and it has to be something nobody else has used, so it does get hard to think of something new, hence the long and sometimes 'odd-looking' (to non-show/breeding people anyway) names.

In cats, the owner's prefix (cattery name) is not added afterwards (in the main UK show organisation anyway). Cats I have owned in the past included Suroshan Petit Verdot, Wendele Woodsorrel and Tianlex Lowtus Blossom. If it had been allowable, I could have added my GCCF registered prefix (Firelizard) to those, which would have given me Suroshan Petit Verdot of Firelizard, Tianlex Lowtus Blossom at Firelizard, and so on.

Cats I bred had my prefix as the first part of their name, as in Firelizard Aikea Guinea, Firelizard Framboise, Firelizard Fleurdelys.

It's the same with dogs & kennel names - except (as already said) if you buy a registered dog, you can add your own kennel name (affix) to the end.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3