Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
First of all, I too have felt an 'ecollar' and 'tickle' isn't how I would describe it at all.....
Most collars have at least 7 settings - a very few are not too bad, as in they are horrible at the highest but not really awful - but most can be dialled up to be incredibly painful. Some makes go up to level 100 .... you only have to watch the daft videos on Youtube of anti barking collars etc on young male adults of the human variety to see they do flipping hurt!

In the Handbook of Applied Behaviour and Training (the author supports their use) he says that the recent devices are lightweight, have sophisiticated features and a real time dial.

However, he also says that the delivery of electronic stimulus ranges from a tingle to a highly aversive electrical event capable of producing significant pain and distress. He says that cheap collars can give unpleasant sensations and that many devices have a high-end shock (his words, not mine) that far exceeds what is "needed". At least he's honest.

A friend of mine who used electric collars (I know that sounds weird, but he was very open minded about reward methods and wanted to know more, soo! We had many discussions .. )
told me that "in the wrong hands, they are torture".

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

and to see happy dogs at the end does not mean the dogs were not hurt by the training
teaching an ear pinch or something can get a dog with a vvv fast happy retreve - because the dogs remember the fantastic releif they felt when the bad things were taken away
Absolutely! It's escape/avoidance conditioning. I got so depressed when I found a gundog site in the US that actually had no qualms at all about ear pinching etc and showed videos and had dogs like automatons (when trained) and looking very submissive and desperate when being walked up to the table where they do it (toe pinching too) This was for sport and also for cups - it was truly pathetic these grown men felt it a good thing to do .
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
An abused child, woman or dog will always try to appease the abuser
This is why beaten children smile so sweetly at the man who hurts them, and the abused wife will deny the abuse, and the cruelly treated dog will fawn on the psycopath who enjoys inflicting pain.
Please don`t be taken in by the weasel words - a `tickle` - a little slap - a good telling off - a firm hand - a sharp lesson.
What these people advocate is bullying a less powerful creature or person into submission by the use of pain - physical and psychological.
These methods will coerce another into doing what you want - although in the case of some posters on here it doesn`t seem to have even done that - but it will destroy the confidence and spirit of the abused, and turn their life into a desperate and anxious ordeal.
Yes a beaten dog wil wag its tail at you. And you can kid yourself it is happy. The dog knows different.
Sadly all very true.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post

The trouble is (From my point of view) is that those that speak out against it don't seem to know much about actually using it. They might have lots of knowledge of how they can be missused but few know much about how they are used succesfully. Like you they assume but they don't have any real knowledge of the subject.
Er, not sure what to make of this
Why do you imagine I am assuming? and do not have any real knowedge of the subject? The only thing i've not actually done is to train a dog with an ecollar, but to be honest all that would do is give me the mechanical skill - not any more actual knowledge.

I'm not an "expert" but I have researched fully using both scientific papers and videos, talking to those on both sides who have used them and other research. I've done my research very thoroughly, even going back to finding odd obscure bits of info from years back, to more recent times with modern collars.

One of the most interesting things I found is that if I criticised any video, a few days later it would be removed from Youtube, the dodgy bit taken out (ie the bit that I spied that showed a dog walking with what I call "the ecollar walk") and put back on again, edited. Now if that doesn't say something, what does?

It seems almost impossible, yet my Beagles in full flight most definately CAN be stopped by something that's not painful - we have an emergency recall that will have them turn on a sixpence and come back to us.
Yes, but that's been conditioned as a command that has been trained ... ecollars aren't used that way. They are used in one of two ways usually. Now, you could probably pair a very mild lowest level shock/stim with a command, and then just use the stimulus, but then you may as well use a whistle! And that's not what was done from what you've described.

The theory behind our dog's emergency recall is that because of the way it's been trained the dog doesn't think - the response becomes hardwired and it will cut through anything.
Agree, except that the term "hardwired" tends to refer to innate/instinctive behaviours such as the predatory sequence.
I haven't found out much about the training approach used with the e-collar but from what I have been told you're very wrong if you think it's just a matter of zapping the dog when it does wrong.
LOL, that is one technique and is used most often in for example sheep chasing. There is another technique but then the way you've described it still soundsmore like the first one was used. The second uses a lower level (well, some use it lower level, but many do not!) shock which is on until the dog learns to turn it off. I have to say this I dislike more than the previous method.

I have felt this and I would describe it as more of a tickle. It makes you jump but doesn't hurt.
There are a huge number of makes and models. It's just possible you felt one on a low level (do you recall what the level was and how many there were?). Or that the collar you were exposed to was for some reason not one that can be turned up much (unusual).

I research things properly before making a decision.
If you find out that dogs can be trained by ecollars and not be hurt, let me know and please film it all! Seriously

Wys
x
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8