New Member!
Male 

25-01-2014, 01:50 AM
thankyou for that, i will try it out soon
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2014, 12:21 AM
Beagles are not easy as they do not seem able to concentrate for long periods! However, they CAN be taught to recall - even if they do have occasional deafness.
Find a good, motivational trainer - Lynda Edmondson has classes in your area - there may be others. It helps to have a really good source of advice.
Start in the garden, and then in open areas using a good length Flexi lead and work hard at 'Come close' to your left side, and 'Look at me', getting attention and eye contact, (lots of happy voice and high value treats). Really make it fun - tuggy, tennis ball, whatever works best. Lots of excercise to take the edge of his energy before you try a release. Eddie's first times off lead were in a local park basketball court, with my OH at the opposite entrance. We then progressed to canal towpaths, (which limited the opportunities for escape).
Don't expect Rome to be built in a day - make sure each step is rock solid before you progress to the next.
Ed does still has an occasional silly moment at a trial or obedience show, but he does come back, and is rarely on the lead at home.

PS. I have heard that there is a monthly Beagle fun gathering at St. Helens, but I have not been able to find out who the organiser is. If anybody knows about this, could they post, please?
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2014, 11:30 AM
This was last year but might give you contacts

http://www.everyonelovesabeagle.com/...sept-2013-noon

HTH
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Cava14Una, thank you so much for posting this link. I'll look into it further. The site seems to be for US Beagle rescue, but it's a good lead and the Dog Barn will prob. Know more.

Again thanks, Carole 'n' Ed.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Whoops!! Only saw Merseyside and Dogbarn

Hope it helps though
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2