Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 02:46 PM

Young Visitors - what do you do?

My sister had arranged to visit today and called to say she was on the way and had the grandchildren with her. I immediately said I`d meet her because I couldn`t have the children in the house.
Am I paranoid? The children are 5 and 7, I don`t know them, they don`t own a dog, my 4 big dogs are not used to children and this is a very small house. It just seemed more prudent to avoid contact.
What do you do? Previously, my dogs were brought up with children and I could trust them - even with strange kids. But the dogs I have now don`t meet children at all.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 03:07 PM
If my grandchildren are coming for more than an hour then I meet them somewhere.
An hour or less then I put the dogs into the dining room and shut the door.
Shady hates children and Kyiro is terrified of them. Its just safer all round.
I think you have done the right thing otherwise you and the dogs would have had an awful day.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Like you ours are not in contact with small children - when nephrews call with their toddlers, dogs are in one room, kiddies in other. Not worth takng a chance
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 03:12 PM
I hide the feather duster!

Carrie, Paul's little sister (9) likes to chase Keisha around the house with it, and keisha loves it, feathers flying everywhere

Heehee, seriously, the only kids that visit are his little sisters, they live far away so only come once a year or so and we just act as normal, the dogs mingle fine.. Our dogs are ok meeting kids on walks. Any other kids that came to the house I think I would be cautious and make sure the dogs were calm and if the kids showed any anxiousness, put the dogs in the garden..
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2010, 03:26 PM
My dogs are used to children, they live with 3 but I still put them in my room with kongs when others visit. I take the attitude that if anything happens (whatever it is) the dogs will get the blame so I don't risk it.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
My dogs are used to children, they live with 3 but I still put them in my room with kongs when others visit. I take the attitude that if anything happens (whatever it is) the dogs will get the blame so I don't risk it.
same here I do the same
WarFlyball
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2010, 03:41 PM
We have 2 small kids who occassionally visit - one of the dogs is great with them, the other loves them and would lick them all over given the chance but finds it all very exciting.

They tend to get a big walk before the kids arrive and can be in with us if they are calm, otherwise crated or in the garden...
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 03:49 PM
I put the kids in the garden with toys and snacks and give th dogs some peace LOL!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Its slightly different here as we foster, so that dogs are used to greeting kiddies of any age.

However we do have to watch some children as I have stated before they may like dogs but can be tormentive/and have had one that was cruel but if I think this is such a case the dogs and children are only together for short periods with us....thats for fears over the dogs and to avoid unneccessary unacceptable treatment of animals or accidents.

But the dogs themselves adore kids and even children that they don't know.
Its a monitor thing here and a time thing so child can get to know dogs, dogs know them and us know the child too.......if that makes sense
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I shut mine away on the rare occasion we have my younger relatives visiting. They are not keen on dogs and probably only come over twice a year because we have the dogs. So, it doesn't kill them to be shut in a room with a tasty bone for a couple of hours a handful of times a year.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >