Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mollybobs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2010, 06:06 AM

Artificial Turf anyone?

Morning folks,

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of artificial turf? We have very poor drainage in our garden, in the winter the water just sits on top of the grass and it ends up as a mud bath, which Molly refuses to put her delicate(!) paws on and insists on barging her way into the border and doing her business there. A couple of years ago, I dug out a patch of the garden and woodchipped it. This has actaully been quite successful, she uses that patch if the grass is wet! BUT, it looks awful, the whole thing, and I am considering having an artificial lawn put down. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 06:29 AM
I looked into it one year at Crufts and the salesman told me that you'd need to hose down for runny poos and I could see it getting very mucky and un green!

rune
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 06:34 AM
I have a square about 7'x5' which I put down for the dogs to use as a toilet.
Its brilliant stuff and easy to clean, but whether it is because its a small area my goodness does it pong of wee. I water it well with a dettol solution everyday but I think the smell is now in the soil underneath.
Not sure how I am going to sort it as my dogs will only wee on grass and I don't want them ruining my lovely new lawn.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 07:42 AM
My neighbour hoovers her fake turf!!!!

It looks really good, she has 4 dogs... Apparently it was quite expensive, £10 a square metre, but worth every penny she says.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 07:45 AM
I don't hoover my house---I sure as hell aren't going to hoover a garden!!

rune
Laine
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2010, 07:49 AM
LOL, I can imagine the looks on my neighbours faces if I started hoovering my lawn
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 07:50 AM
I screamed with laughter out the window the first time i saw her doing it!! With all 4 dogs chasing the hoover round too
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Love the idea of artificial turf if it were just people using it...can't say the same for my dogs who would crap on it numerous times a day!
Mollybobs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Ahh, but that is why I am considering it - for poos. From everything I have read it is easy to clean (since putting Molly on JWB dead easy to pick up, nice and firm ), and if there is anything runny, it hoses down. Never thought about the urine smell though, but with only one dog that might not be too bad?
As for hoovering outside, doesn't everybody? I thought that was what the extension lead was for
Think I will ring a company today, get a rough idea of cost and ask some awkward questions - will let you know how it goes, and thanks for such a speedy response
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2010, 08:22 AM
We are about to replace our back lawn with fake grass. We haven't got a lawn at the moment as the dogs churned it up in the winter and have got a black membrane down to stop the mud coming through. It looks ok but I want to see green!

We've had that many samples sent we could sew them together and make a patterned quilt for the lawn instead.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >