Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 11:35 AM

Caesar Milan...a child's view

We switched the tv on the last night and caught most of the ecollar episode of the CM show.
My son described it as 'horrifying'. He has seen a couple of episodes before and he said, 'I didn't think he was too bad in the past, but now, how can he call himself a dog trainer?'
When CM showed the collar being used on his hand my son shouted, 'look at his hand jump mum, what would that do to a dog?' His general opinion is that CM was cruel to use it and that the owners couldn't possibly have understod what he was doing to their dog, as they wouldn't have let him do it to a dog they loved, if they'd known.

My son is 7 and has been brought up with dogs. He wasn't prompted to say any of the above, he just suddenly came out with 'that is horrifying.'

Out of the mouths of babes huh?
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Words of wisdom from your son. Out of the mouths of babes indeed.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Quite! Says it all, really.......
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 11:54 AM
if a child can see it why cant some adults!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 11:58 AM
My kid's as the same as myself never saw the ecollar episode's but have saw the other episode's and they think he is a good trainer, however I have told them that he is only correcting bad training in the first place, and that if there training was good they would'nt have problems needing correction in the first place.
my girls like Ceasar
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2008, 11:59 AM
I've never watched him to be honest but I've heard enough about him that I wouldn't really want to.

I quite like Brad Pattison's methods though, really concentrates on re-training the owners.

Give me Mic Martin any day.

Please... :P
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
he is only correcting bad training in the first place, and that if there training was good they would'nt have problems needing correction in the first place.
I agree. I'm always shocked at how the people on his TV programmes have been treating their dogs. If the owners hadn't been so uninformed about dog psychology in the first place CM wouldn't have been called in.

He isn't a dog trainer - he changes dog's behaviour and makes them more balanced. IMO if it takes something like aprong collar to get through to a dog and stop it becoming a 'red zone case' (where the dog kills another animal or human) then it is worth it.

Maybe the owners should get the same treatment?

I never understand why people don't like CM. There is such a huge problem with people humanizing dogs and I think that is why CM's methods make some people uncomfortable.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by AlbionLass View Post
I quite like Brad Pattison's methods though, really concentrates on re-training the owners.

Give me Mic Martin any day.

Please... :P
That is what CM does - retraines the owners, rehabilitates the dog.

Mic Martin is a 'dog trainer'. But it's no use training a dog to 'sit' 'stay' 'heel', when the dog is still not psychologically stable.
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
That is what CM does - retraines the owners, rehabilitates the dog.

Mic Martin is a 'dog trainer'. But it's no use training a dog to 'sit' 'stay' 'heel', when the dog is still not psychologically stable.

I like Mic Martin because I don't need a dog behaviourist, (a human shrink very probably but the dogs are fine).
I'd just love to spend a few sessions with him working my two in nosework etc.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 12:55 PM
I watched a Brad Pattison for the first time the other day, when I saw him pick up a JRT by its collar and fling into the house, I switched off ...enough said
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >