Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 09:15 AM

Should I give up on this plant!

Ok, me and plants don't seem to go well together I have been watering this stick for 6 months now and it dont seem to want to spring back to life What do you think, am I wasting my time

This is the said plant now!

and this is said plant as it should look taken a couple of years ago

On a brighter note I have at least one plant in the garden I haven't managed to kill yet

boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Jeez it looks dead to me,xxxxxxxx
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 11:08 AM
I can't really see from the picture, but are there buds starting to form on the branches in the bottom left?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-05-2008, 11:13 AM
One way to tell if it is dead or not is to scrape your thumbnail along the bark and if it is green underneath it is alive if it is woody and dry it is dead. Try a few different branches before giving up and if a few are ok and others are not take off the dead ones and see if the others will shoot.
I have a tree that is very late starting and Gorden was convinced it was dead I did this with my nail and it was alive and started shooting a week or so later.
Good luck.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-05-2008, 11:49 AM
It does look rather as though it has had a serious night out on the town, but I'd do as Lynn suggests and give it a a chance to sober up!

Snorri
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
Jeez it looks dead to me,xxxxxxxx

Originally Posted by majuka View Post
I can't really see from the picture, but are there buds starting to form on the branches in the bottom left?
No Buds!

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
One way to tell if it is dead or not is to scrape your thumbnail along the bark and if it is green underneath it is alive if it is woody and dry it is dead. Try a few different branches before giving up and if a few are ok and others are not take off the dead ones and see if the others will shoot.
I have a tree that is very late starting and Gorden was convinced it was dead I did this with my nail and it was alive and started shooting a week or so later.
Good luck.
Thanks for that little tip Lynn, rushed out to try a few branches - Awwwww I think I can safely say ..................... It's dead

Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
It does look rather as though it has had a serious night out on the town, but I'd do as Lynn suggests and give it a a chance to sober up!

Snorri
I think it had one too many!

RIP poor little plant! Cost me a bloomin fortune to, that's it no more plants for me!
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Yer a plant murderer,gonna report you to the rspcp
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 03:06 PM
dont worry shaza ive manged to kill a cactus before!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 03:19 PM
I would have said it's "late" but then in your weather that shouldn't be the case. I did laugh when you said you'd been watering this stick!!!!! PMSL in fact!!!!

Anyways, as Lynn has said, if it's green underneath then you might still be ok. Can you get some plant feeder, the liquid type and dilute some and feed it. You don't just have to water sticks ya know, you have to feed them too!!!! I would suggest getting some nice ericascious soil, coz it looks an azaelea type to me and they like ericascious, repot it, water it, soak it, feed it and sit and watch it!!! Yes, you can sit and watch sticks too!!!!! I'm falling off my chair laughing here you and your stick!!!!! Oh, and best of British!!!

I have a very big stick like tree in the garden which had done NOTHING, Dave said it looked very dead, and lo and behold this week in the sunshine it's sprouting all of it's leaves, and yet I would have said it was totally dead, I didn't even have the green when I did the thumbnail test on it, and yet it's looking good now with a week's warm sunshine and my sprinkler in the evening.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Run free at the Bridge, little plant (?????)

Snorri
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >