Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
walkiespetcare
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2011, 12:34 PM

Heat mat for puppies-recommend any?

My heat mat has died and I need a new one for an impending litter of Toy Poodles, can anyone recommend one please?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 12:37 PM
out of interest...why would u need one?

i have always used microwavable discs..washable,no plugs very hard wearing.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 12:41 PM
I have a plug in one but it works by weight so is not really much good for a mother and babes. I got mine for pups I was hand raring so had no mum to cuddle up to.

I don't usually have one if the Mum is in with pups because if they are too hot they lay away from mum and each other.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
I have a plug in one but it works by weight so is not really much good for a mother and babes. I got mine for pups I was hand raring so had no mum to cuddle up to.

I don't usually have one if the Mum is in with pups because if they are too hot they lay away from mum and each other.
exactly...and they cant regulate their heat..so the best(and safest) way to keep them warm is with dry clean bedding and cuddling each other.
walkiespetcare
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
out of interest...why would u need one?

i have always used microwavable discs..washable,no plugs very hard wearing.
I just like to have one under a corner of the box, to use if they (mother and pups) wish too! Would not cover whole base of bed, as you say, they cant regulate their own temp.

They will be in a corner of my bed room with me but its not that warm with this damn UK weather !!

I have just been reading up on the microwaveable disks, they sound useful for my rabbit too, will keep him toastie over the winter.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 04:18 PM
We always use one, our breed normally have litters in the winter, although my boys litter were born last Saturday!

Breeder of the litter bought a heater off of e.bay (last week) the pups seem to love it, it doesn't cover the whole bed and they are able to move off of it, its very flat and the cable is protected.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Sounds like the one I have, if it is it does not get warm unless a wieght is on it so not sure why the pups would be attracted to move on to it if it is cold.

Even in the winter our houses I would have thought are warm enough.

Most important I feel is to make sure there are no draughts and nice dry bedding.