Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 11:17 PM

Puppy Kong

When I raided Pets at Home before collecting our puppy, I was looking for toys & was recommended the puppy Kong & paste which I've bought. It sounded great! though quite expensive (I'd never heard of it) I put a bit of paste in the small end but Tilly is not interested at all in it - what alteratives could I put in it suitable for an 11 week old? I've read "cheese" but can they have cheese at this age & if so which type?
Sorry I'm new to all this & scared to give her anything other than the food she's used to which is Purina dried food.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Get some cheap meat paste from asda/tesco and use that.
You can blend fruit n put that in I put allsorts in ours and the monsters love most things.
I've never bothered with kong paste to be honest it seems very expensive n doesn't look to nice so i stick with the meat paste
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Have you tried just putting her dog food in?

The stickier stuff is better as it is harder to get out, but it might draw her interest a little bit first if you put stuff in it that falls out.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Ordinary cheap meat paste! Wow can they have that? I actually have some of that rubbish in the cupboard, the kids love it their sandwiches must to my distaste & it smells better than the Kong paste which was was £5
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 11:50 PM
I put Pilchards in ours, I am guessing they are ok for puppies ?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Woody is slightly obsessed with this puppy paste so no probs there for us. It took him a while to get used to it though so we just put a little on our fingers and let him lick it off gradually.
We do two things for him (he's four months now but we've done them from 11 weeks):
One: block the end of a big kong ball with a bit of cheese, fill with his puppy complete food and some gravy (we use Bisto reduced salt granules), block with a puppy markie (his favourite) and put in a sandwich bag and freeze. Will keep him busy for at least an hour so he usually has this when we sit down for our dinner too keep him occupied. He gets really tired after as well as it's hard work to lick all the gravy and then chase the ball after all the food.
Two: With a smaller puppy kong we block an end with cheese and then pack it with dinner and cheese (sausage would be good too but being veggies we don't ever have this in the house), put a squirt of paste in the end and block off with a markie. Pack it tight but not too tight at first so he gets the thrill of all the food spilling out as he pushes it about.
Hope that helps! Oh and you probably already know this, but make sure the food comes out of his daily allowance, especially with a lab as they are prone to weight gain, bless them.
Have we had pics of your pup? Would love to see some!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks all - and yes I've just managed to post a pic of Tilly in my introduction post!
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Peanut butter is ok for them too (not in too large amounts though as it is pretty rich)

You could also boil and mash some liver, and make a paste of that that way. Most dogs love liver.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 03:58 PM
If you make liquid type ones & freeze them will this be too cold for a puppy?
Sorry for all the daft questions - I'm such a worrier! Tilly is off her food again today and has diahorr.... can't spell it so "squits"
I made one with a puppy treat in one end with some meat paste filled it with very watery gravy & a bit more paste at the top, froze it & she loved it........ it lasted a good 20 minutes. It's all she has had today she won't eat her food but was whining for the cat food when we fed the cat. (We are feeding the cat at the top of the stairs where Tilly can't go)
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Sorry if it is in the post further up, but what are you feeding her? Have you tried giving her some chicken and rice to settle her tummy?

If she has a bad tum, don't give her frozen stuff as this might upset her belly some more. Once her tummy is ok then it is fine to give frozen stuff to dogs (my dog eats ice cubes and even bones straight out of the freezer lol)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >