Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 10:04 AM

Raw/natural feeding and Holidays

How does this work then? It's pretty straightforward to bring a bag of kibble or a few tins/packs of dog food away with you, but how do you do it if you are feeding fresh meat, bones & veg? We like to go to out of the way places or on a boat, so that would be a diet of chicken breasts only from the local (tiny) stores then .
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 10:06 AM
could you not take a freezer box and store meat in that?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Good idea - would you fit enough meat in for two weeks though? I have visions of our next holiday - me, OH, new baby, dog, buggy, travel cot, my giant suitcase, OH's tiny travel bag , baby stuff, freezer for dog .... all in a little Estate
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Good idea - would you fit enough meat in for two weeks though? I have visions of our next holiday - me, OH, new baby, dog, buggy, travel cot, my giant suitcase, OH's tiny travel bag , baby stuff, freezer for dog .... all in a little Estate
true, but could you not buy some chicken stuff aswell whilst you are away and suplement it with red meat from your freezer box.....
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Well most I`ve done it for is 5 days don`t know about 2 wks

We had 2 freezer boxes for the dogs stuff, I did away with mushedveg/fruit for that time & gave it whole, also had ch/legs & wings & quails so didn`t rely too much on meat only then bought what else was needed from local butcher/supermarket when I ran out, also eggs

Best thing with this diet L/S is you can mix n match as its only for a short period of time & remember its balamce over time

Talking about baby, you`ll have baby food won`t you, so pureed jars of baby fruit n veg could come in handy
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 12:01 PM
It can be done, I'm sure

Take two cars????
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
It can be done, I'm sure

Take two cars????
One for you one for dogs, makes perfect sense

Where theres a will theres a way
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 01:39 PM
LS is it just getting the food to where you are going that is the trouble with space...or storing it when you get there?

Have you thought about one of those things that go on top of your car that people use when going on their travels?...So you could carry stuff in that.

To get the food there I would pack it in one of those cool bags (as in cold not ) and pack with loads of those plastic ice blocks you can buy...Most the time they come with the bags but you can more more separate too.
Phoenix
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2006, 02:45 PM
I take well frozen food in an ice box - with lots of ice packs - that usually keeps for 2 to 3 days.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks guys - it would have to be ice-packs I think or fresh meat as the boats only have tiny little freezer compartments.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >