Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2006, 06:31 PM

Help! harvey just eaten chicken bones

Oh dear Harvey has just helped himself to 2 small chicken bones from the bin bag. They were about 1 to 2 inch long from chicken quarters.I hadn't left the room that long less than a couple of minutes, but when I found him his head was in the bin bag licking his lips, the bones no where to be seen. What is the possible outcomes of this
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm sure he will be fine!
Generally people worry about cooked bones splinterting when they are chewed - as they are sharp.

teagan found a chicken bone in the garden last week (not sure how it got there), and crunched it and ate it before I could get to her, but nothing has happened, she passed it normally
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 07:01 PM
I honestly wouldn't worry too much.

They should pass through system in few hours.

Just keep an eye on general wellbeing.

Min xxx
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2006, 02:54 AM
Keep an eye out for any blood in his faeces for the next couple of days. Also, if he seems to be in any abdominal discomfort then consult a vet.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2006, 05:56 AM
I wouldn't treat a dog eating cooked chicken bones lightly at all. Please keep an eye on Harvey, as Shadowboxer has said. Cooked bones are dangerous, and should be avoided at all costs. We had chicken on Sunday and the bones were out of the house immediately afterwarwds. Dogs are very resourceful, especially where bones are concerned