Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jinxy33
New Member!
Female 

04-04-2006, 12:36 PM

My dog is overweight - any ideas?

Hi Everyone

I'm new to this site, and just registered..
My dog (border collie/gsd) is 31kilos and should be 26/27 kilos... He'll be 3yrs in Sept
He's been on weight control bakers dried food now for about 4 wks.
He has plenty of exercise, anyone know what else he needs to be doing?
He's a very unusual eater for a dog, as he has to be introduced to his food to start eating it, he's also not a dog where you leave food down and he'll eat it, he'll only eat if you give him some to start with..very unusual.
Hope to hear from someone soon..
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 01:02 PM
It seems he's not quite content with his food, just wondered if he's always been on Bakers or you have recently changed to help with his diet?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 01:02 PM
burns high oats is very good for shedding those unwanted pounds ( bakers would not be my choice ) ....you say he eats when you give him some to start ? I would put the food down for 10 mins if not eaten then pick it back up if he has left it then he isn't hungry

good luck
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-04-2006, 01:53 PM
I don't give my Boys (Border Collies) "Complete" food of any kind - they get butcher meat, raw. Any time they've been offered "complete", they've turned their noses up at it - the stuff appears to have all sorts of oddities added to it, and it looks as though they know it! They will eat Pedigree complete, but only when it's a palmful mixed in with their meat (and I only do that to disguise the fact that one of the crunchy bits is a vitamin pill!).

I have had to get them losing weight before (and may have to start on Snorri-dog again, soon), but have always tackled it through the addition of more empty space to the dinner bowl Plus, of course, a cutback on the treats, even "low-fat" ones (O nasty me! ).

Their "ideal" weight (according to vet) is 23 kg: usually, they weigh in at anything between 22 and 24.5 kg

Snorri
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 06:01 PM
My Daisy is dieting and has been for a while, she is on Burns High Oats and is losing weight nicely.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-04-2006, 10:18 PM
hello,
I have a Border Collie (BC), Blackie, he is a bit like your dog. he will only eat dry food if you hand feed him and if you give him wet food he will sometimes eat it and sometimes won't, sometimes he empties it out of the bowl and eat it off the floor! I have found a few BC's that don't eat well yet put on weight, Blackie included.

Ian