Our sister sites
Our sister sites
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2006, 07:11 AM

my girl has to go on a diet........

hi there,

just after some advice about my english springer, bronte. i took her to the vets on friday for a general check-up and mot! he says she's arthritic (which i knew anyway), and gave her some rimadryl tablets (she's on glucosamine and omiga 3 fish oils too). the vet also weighed her.....glug! she weighs 27 kg and should be 20kg! so major diet for her. she's always been on the chunky side anyway....even as a pup. the vet says i've got to basically starve her! so i've cut her tea right down, and given it to her in 2 portions. she can have carrots or any other veg ad lib. she loves carrots thankfully! do you think she would be okay having the occasionally pigs ear, hide chew etc?? or shall i just cut out completely? any advice would be very welcome
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-04-2006, 07:38 AM
Pig ears do have a high fat content, and I suspect that rawhides do too. A recreational raw bone would be the better option anyway Be aware that carrots do contain sugars. Raw carrots tend to come out as they went in, but cooking will break down the cellulose and release more sugars. I would increase the ratio of green veg to carrot and other starchy, sugary veg. Brown rice is said to assuage hunger but to pass through without putting weight on. I don't know if this is accurate information - perhaps someone else can confirm/refute it?

Getting the extra padding off should help with the arthritis
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2006, 07:51 AM
what green veg would you suggest? would i feed it to her raw or cooked? i've tried her with apples, but she's not so keen! i've also been thinking about just feeding her on chicken and rice, and not feeding her her normal complete food. i really need her to lose the extra padding as i know its affecting her arthritis. the vet also mentioned about cutting down on her exercise for a month until she's lost a bit of weight, then gradually build it back up. i feel so sorry for her, but i'm not going to give into those puppy eyes...
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

03-04-2006, 08:01 AM
I feed a high-ish proportion of leafy green veg - Brussels, cauli leaves, spinach, etc. plus broccoli and some peas and green beans - not too much of the two latter ones as they are believed to contribute to bloat in deep-chested breeds - (and no, they don't get wind). I lightly cook veg based on my vet's advice and on the principle that 'prey' intestines would contain partially digested stuff. I also feed raw meat, leaner if they are putting on the pud and fattier for winter warmth.

Don't know about cutting down on exercise I would have thought that building it up, very gradually, would be beneficial?

Chicken and rice alone will not supply her nutritional needs
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2006, 08:10 AM
hi,

thanks for your advice. so would i give her the chicken raw then, with the veg mixed in with it? and maybe give her the occasionally carrot or apple in-between meals. the vet mentioned about cutting down on the exercise because he was concerned that her joints are taking on too much stress because of her extra padding. then when she starts losing weight, i can build the exercise up gradually again. (at the moment she gets about 2-3 hours per day, sometimes more, sometimes a little less). sorry for asking so many questions...
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2006, 08:17 AM
Hi

Are there any places you can take her swimming. This would give extra exercise that didn't put strain on joints and build up muscle to provide extra support to the joint.

I think giving a measured daily allowance little and often would help.

If it eats the food very quickly like my freinds Lab.
Could put food in a kong so that it lasts longer too.

I am not sure about your vet. But my local very offers free weight management support. I think this helps to know how you are progressing and can have the continued help and advice.

As you are making the changes to diet. It might be useful to keep a diary.

Min and Paws xxxx
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

03-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Yes, raw chicken with veg mixed in. Try to get chicken frames & off-cuts from the butcher/pet food shop that have been minced and contain the bones as well as a little meat. Also feed a variety of meats, lamb/mutton, beef/veal, rabbit, etc. as each meat contains slightly different nutrients. I would avoid raw pork if she is not used to it as some dogs do find it too rich. I always freeze and then defrost raw meat as a precaution against neospora. Cooked white fish, or tinned sardines/tuna in water are good to vary the diet & add interest. A between-meal raw carrot or apple would be ok - if she really needs it I would be more inclined to make the fruit/veg a part of her meal - but I know what Spaniel eyes can do to you

I can see why your vet advised cutting down on exercise - 2-3 hours is probably a bit much for an arthritic lady