register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

04-04-2006, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=lou3]By which time its too late to do any good for anything other than the fathering a litter problem.
Behavioural and health benefits are all associated with neutering BEFORE puberty.[/QUOTE

Thats your opinion, I`ve given mine
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by lou3
making it even less likely they had anything to do with the castration. Testosterone is fully out of the system after six weeks so you would expect to see any problems associated with removing said hormone at this time.

Post-operative side effects do not just mean complications from the act of surgery itself. If the side-effect occurs ten years after surgery it is still a side-effect of that surgery.
It is not the testosterone that causes the problems, there are, as you no doubt know, 6 major endocrine glands in the body of which the testicles are one.

Two of these glands also have other important functions, the pancreas helps with digestion and the testicles and ovaries produce eggs and sperm. But the pancreas and the testicles or ovaries produce hormones apart from the seed of new life and digestive juices they are important if the body is to function correctly. Amongst other things the release of testosterone, oestrogen and progesterone into the blood controls the growth patterns of the dog insures the correct functioning of the prostate gland and the whole thing is controlled by the pituitary gland that is at the base of the brain.

Whilst it is true that the body can live without some of the parts of the body nature gave them, in the case of the human the appendix, the spleen and the tonsils, one kidney and part of the liver, think we would all agree that it is better if we remain intact. And, of course, it is sometimes necessary to also remove the testicles and ovaries from humans but if this is done in the young it is also deemed necessary to replace the missing hormones with HRT to ensure the correct growth and functioning of the body and it’s emotions. You may think that the hormones produced by the testicles and ovaries are of no importance to the body but I think any menopausal woman would tell you different.

I will add that the diagnosis of the problems my dog suffered was not mine but that of a number of vets but perhaps they were misinformed too.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE=Christine]
Originally Posted by lou3
By which time its too late to do any good for anything other than the fathering a litter problem.
Behavioural and health benefits are all associated with neutering BEFORE puberty.[/QUOTE

Thats your opinion, I`ve given mine
Have to agree with you on that C, wonder where that gem came from. Thought we liked our dogs and that in most cases they were able to be domesticated, it now appears that in order to live with us they require bodily modification. If this were true I would have grave doubts if it were ethical to keep dogs at all. Smacks of political correctness to me. What are they doing in today’s vet schools sounds like indoctrination to me.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

05-04-2006, 08:24 AM
*What are they doing in today’s vet schools sounds like indoctrination to me*

Quite a few people think that J.

Is it any wonder when worldwide, vet medical schools are so heavily sponsored by the drug & dog food companies, so of course is research........
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8