Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bagoratz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Who is having a go, as you put it?
Yes you took the words right out of my mouth! Who is having a go Steph? I am assuming you've read through all the posts - the answers were fairly definitive on page 1 - the discussion has now extended into a debate about whether to neuter/castrate or not and people are merely citing examples from their own experience to back up their own opinions - it's called debate
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Or if she really wants my advice I would say, in general, don’t do it, but then who is going to take note of my experience. If, I knew why she was even considering it I may be able to give a more considered answer.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Keeping it nice and friendly...

Between 6-8 months is the most usual time to castrate. I don't think having a dog neutered will stop aggression though in some cases it may help to ease the situation.

All of our dogs have been neutered and have shown no ill effects.

There are many arguments from both sides and many have valid points. Personally I choose to have my bitches speyed as otherwise it brings up many problems when going to shows etc. they can't compete and I have the problem of finding someone to look after them. I don't want to breed so speying is the best option for me. I choose to have my boys neutered as they come into contact with many many dogs - I don't want any accidents involving my dogs and having them neutered takes that stress away. They still hump each other and get a bit randy!!!

It's an entirely personal choice but any control work/training etc. should be done regardless. For my dogs, if I don't want to breed them I have them neutered. Ziggie was going to go to stud but due to his allergies I chose not to, even though he had two bitches lined up, he was then neutered, and so was neutered later - it didn't make one bit of difference to him, apart from having to stop on the lead for a week (he wasn't impressed!)...

H xx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2006, 07:33 PM
and also yes castration does work for aggression,
However not all aggression is directly related to testosterone so removing it will not "cure" all aggression.

From experience-a friend had her male dobe castrated at the behest of her vet to"cure"his aggression. Unfortunately his aggression was part of his temperament & his breeding & he had to be PTS when he almost killed his owners spayed rescue bitch who he had been brought up with.

I have no problem with anyone having their dog castrated if they wish, but(& it's a big but)it will not stop aggression, it will not stop/prevent the humping & bitching, it will not stop the marking in all dogs. What it will do 100% is eventually prevent the dog from getting a bitch in whelp(but not immediately & there is no actual guidance on how long the dog will remain fertile after being castrated, the only way to know for certain is the same way a man who has had the snip knows he has no viable sperm)

There are pros & cons & IMHO my dogs do not lead an unhappy life because they have their testicles
ste.n.steph
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK
However not all aggression is directly related to testosterone so removing it will not "cure" all aggression.

From experience-a friend had her male dobe castrated at the behest of her vet to"cure"his aggression. Unfortunately his aggression was part of his temperament & his breeding & he had to be PTS when he almost killed his owners spayed rescue bitch who he had been brought up with.

I have no problem with anyone having their dog castrated if they wish, but(& it's a big but)it will not stop aggression, it will not stop/prevent the humping & bitching, it will not stop the marking in all dogs. What it will do 100% is eventually prevent the dog from getting a bitch in whelp(but not immediately & there is no actual guidance on how long the dog will remain fertile after being castrated, the only way to know for certain is the same way a man who has had the snip knows he has no viable sperm)

There are pros & cons & IMHO my dogs do not lead an unhappy life because they have their testicles
I have 2 dogs with testicles and 2 without and neither of them have an unhappy life.
You are right there joedee and a few other things you have said too.

But all i am trying to say it at the end of the day its up to this lady what she wishes to do and some are for castration and some are against but all we can do is try and give her advice and information on both sides so she has more facts before she chooses.

But one thing i will say is and this is the same for the girls, having them done does reduce the risk of cancer. So experts and vets say, i dont know how true this is.

Steph
ste.n.steph
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2006, 10:45 PM
joedee also so sorry about what happened with your friends dog
lou3
New Member!
Female 

02-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by bagoratz
Why is a castrated dog happier than an entire dog????
Because a castrated dog does not suffer from stress when surrounding bitches come into heat - this has been shown to be very considerable physiological stress even in dogs that show no outward behavioral signs. They also do not feel the pressure to be top of the pack in order to mate and so are happier in their enforced status as bottom of the pack. A dog retaining sex hormones is like a teenage boy - always thinking about sex! They are normally happier and more well rounded when this stress is taken out of the picture.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by lou3
Because a castrated dog does not suffer from stress when surrounding bitches come into heat - this has been shown to be very considerable physiological stress even in dogs that show no outward behavioral signs. They also do not feel the pressure to be top of the pack in order to mate and so are happier in their enforced status as bottom of the pack. A dog retaining sex hormones is like a teenage boy - always thinking about sex! They are normally happier and more well rounded when this stress is taken out of the picture.
Not sure the men in your life would agree with you.

Come to think of it neither do I , animals in the wild are not all on valium because they are left as nature intended.
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
animals in the wild are not all on valium because they are left as nature intended.
True, but then they can get to bitches in heat and relive that stress ? But hey, I know nothing. I don't even own my own dog yet

Interesting debate though - I always assumed neutering was standard practice unless you're planning to breed from your dog.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by tillytails
True, but then they can get to bitches in heat and relive that stress ?
Not unless they are Alfa they can't
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >