View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2006, 08:35 PM

How old for sexual maturity? (at what age is a male dog capable of breeding)

Hi guys

Is there a specific age when a dog (as opposed to a bitch) is old enought to breed?

I'm not thinking of breeding, but wasn't sure if we have to be careful with Maxwell around un-spayed bitches as soon as we get him home (he'll be castrated between 6mths and 1yr)

As he'll still be in close contact with one of his sisters and his mum and possibly another un-spayed bitch, I'd like to know if we'll have to take "extra precautions" before he's done

Thanks

Shelley
x
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2006, 08:42 PM
I can only respond in terms of Dalmatians, which is at around 8-9 months but it can vary between dogs.
Maybe a Boxer owner can throw more light on it?
In the meantime, no harm in being extra careful
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-03-2006, 09:36 PM
I believe that males are "able" from a very early age so be very careful! It is not unknown for "puppies" to father litters if its just a case of getting the position right.
With regard the bithces they won't conceive untill they have a season usually around 6 - 8 months but he will tell when she is coming in to season then you will need to sperate

As for ideal breeding age - if it must be done then after all appropriate breed health checks are done around 18 months (toy) to 2 years (medium and bigger!) would be a good age!

I'm sure there will be some better experts to elaborate for you.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2006, 10:12 PM
As has been said do you mean able to father a litter or the best time to be used at stud. If the first depending on the breed about 4 months, if the latter when fully adult but not too old and after all he has had his health tests and they have proved satisfactory.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Just to clarify for Shelley, Maxwell will be castrated!
She's just not sure on the best age to do it, and is wondering when he will reach sexual maturity, as he will be in contact with his Mum, Sister, and another un spayed bitch, frequently, and they don't want any accidents.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Well believe it or not Harvey is now 15 weeks and he is showing very strong signs towards his teddy. I was so surprised to see it the other day - bless him.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2006, 11:35 PM
As to castration our vet advised us to wait as long as possible if we are going to get Finn done to give him time to mature until he is well over a year she said but then again all vets have a different opinion on this.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2006, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by Harveys Mum
Well believe it or not Harvey is now 15 weeks and he is showing very strong signs towards his teddy. I was so surprised to see it the other day - bless him.
Lol.....I've had pups of just a few weeks old doing this to their toys!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2006, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by Harveys Mum
This is normal in all animals, particularly the male, so is the teenage stage but after that things settle down. Even baby boys show a, more than acceptable interest in their bits & pieces, and we all understand the rampant hormones of puberty and yet many dogs are castrated for this reason when given a few months the problem would disappear, where as the castrated male is likely never mature in the same way but remain in the rather excitable puppy stage all his life.

I agree that a dog should not be castrated until after the teenage period has passed, the hormones released at this time are needed to complete growth.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2006, 07:40 AM
It is my opinion that dogs should be castrated unless they are required for breeding but if there are no behaviour problems such as inappropriate marking, and persistent 'humping' after the puppy stage (all puppies, male & female, will display humping behaviour which is natural) - then leave castration as long as possible - at least 12 - 18 months. This will give the time required for the urinary system to mature and for general physical maturation.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »