Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gadge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2008, 07:38 PM

Whats up with my dog? wheez/caugh?

In the past couple of hours samson is what seems to be wheezing? like hes choking and trying to throw up. Every 10 to 15 mins he does it. Besides that he is fine, no crying, and is active and happy to play.

Unsure what it is? a cold maybe? it does sound like hes trying to bring phlem (sp) up?

Thanks
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2008, 07:44 PM
It could be kennel cough or another respiratory infection. I`d keep him away from other dogs - kennel cough is very infectious - and see the vet about it.
Gadge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2008, 07:47 PM
We'll get him to a vet tomorrow. Can cats be affected from it? Also how would he catch it? He hasnt really been around other dogs for long enough.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2008, 07:57 PM
its airbourne if it is KC, have you opened his mouth and made sure there's nothing stuck in the throat or in a back tooth. If I was you and assuming it is KC I'd go get some paediatric Benelyn to give him some relief tonight.
michele44
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2008, 08:24 PM
he may have something stuck in his throat... think about what he as eaten before he started with the cough

keep us posted
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2008, 08:38 PM
sounds very much like kennel cough to me.

If you do go to a vets do let them know you suspect kennel cough as it is very infectious.

They may give you antiobiotics but its viral so not really alot of point benelin can help the systems - best to keep away from other dogs until a week after the coughing stops.

KC can be very serious for the elderly dogs and puppies - sorry don't know if it affects cats.

Hope your boy is ok soon.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Any news?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Sounds like Kennel Cough to me too but I will add that one of my dogs Milo coughs and wheezes when he is having an allergic reaction.
Better to get it checked out as it could be a few things.
Gadge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2008, 06:22 PM
TBH hes been ok today and had the borking twice all day, considering it was near every 15 mins last night. The vet was closed today too, so looks like i'll take him tomorrow morning. Grandparents have just told me to give him half a paracetamol?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 06:26 PM
It's never wise to give dogs human medicine except under the advice of the vet! There are 24hr vet support lines that are free that would be able to better tell you if there is anything you can do until tomorrow.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >