Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 04:04 PM

Siberian Husky and Anaesthetic/Reactions/Death

Does anyone know anything about huskies and possible reactions to general anaesthetics? I'm a bit worried as Loki's breeder told us to tell any vet to 'treat him as a Siberian Husky'?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 04:44 PM
I am almost certain the best GA is Repenivet (sp) for huskies, thats what is recommended for mals.

Mo
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Thank you Mo
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Just took this from the SHCGB site, the question was in regards to a dog being neutered, but it may help.

Many epileptic dogs have general anaesthetics and are fine but if you decide to have him done just remind the nurse of this when she is admitting him in the morning as one of the drugs commonly used as a premed is best not given to epileptics.

Mo
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 05:03 PM
It is because the vets can give the Sibe an overdose because of the heavy coat, Sibes need just the right amount because of a slow metabolic rate and a bit too much can be fatal. I was worried myself but after speaking to lots of Sibe owners who have had their sibes spayed/neutered with no problems at all I feel reassured and zuki is booked in next month.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Thank you
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by mo
I am almost certain the best GA is Repenivet (sp) for huskies, thats what is recommended for mals.

Mo
Yes - ask them to use Rapinovet and you should be fine
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks again guys!
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Does anyone know anything about huskies and possible reactions to general anaesthetics? I'm a bit worried as Loki's breeder told us to tell any vet to 'treat him as a Siberian Husky'?
I looked into this a bit a few years ago when my Odin had a bad reaction to GA. I discovered that a few of my breed have died with an over-reaction to it, just a few too many to be considered normal.

GA sensitivity is well known in Greyhounds and dogs of similar build and this is thought to be because of the low body fat:muscle ratio, but in the Arctic breeds, where it is also well recognised, it could be due to the circulatory adaptations these breeds have evolved to cope with cold climate. Other Arctic mammals have a counter-current adaptation which assists in the regulation of temperature in the legs and feet and it is probable that our dogs too have this.

Any more than this, I don't know, and why it should increase sensitivity to GA, my vet couldn't answer but if there is any more info on this, I'd be interested to hear.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Your vet can run a test on liver function to check for sensitivity, ours offered us a few tests (thats the only one I can remember ) speak to your vet explain your worries, mine was only too happy to reassure me that everything wil be fine and if I would like they could run tests yada yada.