View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 12:11 PM
I do this too. I'm sure they remember as each year they get braver and this year they were lined up along the fence as soon as I started brushing the dogs.

Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Awww it's lovely to know that there are so many fellow birdy people on here! xx

Hali - brilliant pics! Yes that was exactly what we saw!

I love watching the birds - especially at this time of year when they're so busy. I can't fill the feeders fast enough!
ailsas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm another one that puts the dog fur out, there's a girl in our local park who's spun her gsd's fur and knitted herself a very nice hat out of it.
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2012, 11:53 PM
I usually give Oscar a good brush on the garden then leave any hair floating around for the birds to pick up, there's not that much as he's a short haired Chihuahua but has nice soft fur.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 12:16 AM
My Lady Blackbird spent all day making her nest. I think she started at sunrise and didn't stop til late in the afternoon. She was relentless and had no time to eat, all day. At one point I thought she had finished, and I secretly saw her sitting in her cup-shaped creation. But then she was out again to collect a leaf bigger than her head.... Followed by more mud from the special source I made for her.
Hoping she has now finished as rain is due tomorrow that could wash away her hard-built wattle and daub domicile if she's not careful.
Does anyone know how soon the nest is completed, to when eggs are laid? And what is best to put out for birds to eat while incubating eggs?
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 05:37 AM
I do it too
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
My Lady Blackbird spent all day making her nest. I think she started at sunrise and didn't stop til late in the afternoon. She was relentless and had no time to eat, all day. At one point I thought she had finished, and I secretly saw her sitting in her cup-shaped creation. But then she was out again to collect a leaf bigger than her head.... Followed by more mud from the special source I made for her.
Hoping she has now finished as rain is due tomorrow that could wash away her hard-built wattle and daub domicile if she's not careful.
Does anyone know how soon the nest is completed, to when eggs are laid? And what is best to put out for birds to eat while incubating eggs?
It's amazing to see isn't it?

Blackbirds are soft-billed so sunflower hearts, peanut granules (not whole peanuts as they can choke baby birds) and any suet products will be gratefully received and all are great high energy foods! Suet pellets are fantastic but not cheap - a lot of bird mixes contain them though.

Blackbirds are also partial to fruit - sultanas, raisins etc.

Cheese goes down very well too - but don't make the mistake I did - I put some grated cheese out when it was really frosty and it disappeared really quickly. It actually disappeared at about the same time Whisper was walking round the garden....... .......! I don't think the birds got any of it

I've recently discovered (( This Wiild Bird Food Website )) - much cheaper than many of the big names.

(( Vinehouse Farm )) are pretty good too and have always had excellent service from them.

My birds are extremely fussy though and will only eat Haiths fatballs!!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 09:46 PM
used to this this one with my horse. Dont think birds would want phoebes hair.

Another good use for it is to stuff handfulls inside old socks and hand around your chicken coop as it keeps the foxes away. Need to replace about once a month. We do it at work so chickens will be safe. We groom the newfoundlands that at regulars for this purpose alone
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Hanlou View Post
It's amazing to see isn't it?

Blackbirds are soft-billed so sunflower hearts, peanut granules (not whole peanuts as they can choke baby birds) and any suet products will be gratefully received and all are great high energy foods! Suet pellets are fantastic but not cheap - a lot of bird mixes contain them though.

Blackbirds are also partial to fruit - sultanas, raisins etc.

Cheese goes down very well too - but don't make the mistake I did - I put some grated cheese out when it was really frosty and it disappeared really quickly. It actually disappeared at about the same time Whisper was walking round the garden....... .......! I don't think the birds got any of it

I've recently discovered (( This Wiild Bird Food Website )) - much cheaper than many of the big names.

(( Vinehouse Farm )) are pretty good too and have always had excellent service from them.
Thank you Our local pet shop sells a lot of things including dried mealworms and suet pellets - we fed the blackbirds and other birds during the winter, plus I made 'bird cake' with lard. Maybe I will just continue with that, though I have to keep my beadies open as certain dog/s keep helping themselves!

Once chicks have hatched though, I guess the feeding has to be changed? Or will the parents naturally feed the chicks only on wild food they have gathered themselves, and just fill themselves up on my fat & sugar laden offerings?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2