Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2012, 07:36 PM

A great way to 'recycle' doggy fur...

When I groom Whisper I always end up with a fair amount of fur lol.

I wondered if I could find a use for it.... so as I'm a bird lover (have several feeders and lots of birdies regularly visiting my garden!) I decided it would make wonderful nesting material.

I put a few handfuls close to the ground feeder in a few nooks and crannies and kept a close eye on it but it seemed to be completely ignored.

Then yesterday my husband shouted me to the kitchen window to come and look - there were several very excited sparrows flying to and fro' the fur pile with huge beakfuls of it! Bless 'em!

It was lovely to see - and I think there will be some *very* cosy baby birds round here this Spring!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2012, 08:24 PM
I would imagine that Whisper's fur is super soft and very warm.....those baby birds will be very snug.

I used to do the same thing with the fur from our last dog, and also put out the fluff from the tumble dryer......the birds love that too.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2012, 08:35 PM
I do that too!

I frequently get loads of hair on the slicker brush when grooming my two, so I get it off the brush with a comb and put it under a stone on the bird table - the birds love it!
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 07:57 AM
I put it out for the birds as well but I did meet a woman a couple of years ago who span it and knitted it into teddy bears with really long hair'ed dog fur she would even do scarfs and mittens.
JTVN
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Someone asked us to save the dog fur for her from the dogs that we groom as she wanted to put it out for the birds in her garden.

We groom our own in the garden and leave it for the birds to pick up. It doesn't stay there for very long and it's lovely to see the birds going back and forth collecting it
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2012, 08:56 AM
That is so neat! It had never occured to me, but I could do with a way of getting rid of Rogan's fluff
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 09:07 AM
I'm standing in the kitchen at the moment, watching a female blackbird collecting all kinds of dry leaves, moss, twigs and deads grass, and flying back and forth into the creeper in the hedge. Some of the beakfuls are bigger than she is!

I've got plenty of dog hair out for the birds but I think blackbirds use just twigs, dry bits and mud, no fluffy stuff. I've poured some water onto the ground for her though, so that she has plenty of mud to use.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 10:16 AM
For some weird reason, the birds won't touch the Tibetan Mastiff's fur. I've put it in trees for the birds and all sorts and weeks later it's still there. Shame as it's odourless plus super warm and cosy. It's beautiful and so soft.

I should take up woll spinning and knitting.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 10:31 AM
I used to do the same with Georgie's fur, I'd stuff it in the thick hedge and it was gone in seconds. Dave swept out an old shed yesterday and he left the broom against the wall, and when he came in the kitchen and looked outside, there were half a dozen blue tits picking away at all the clumps of whatever on it and flying off to build their nests. Hopefully, the nests will be good enough to rear lots of young and then I'll have the pleasure of watching them all when they've left the nest.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Awwww thats lovely xxx Happy Birds
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >