View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 08:07 PM
well I know someone that is expecting a litter of CC's from a 6month old male!

18months would be the youngest I would use a CC at stud. Although in slower maturing breeds I would leave it longer.
I cant personally comment on studding out - as we never have.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 08:12 PM
god 6 months is a bit young even though asbo is already trying to hump daphni... hes only 3 and a half months old... telling you why i ever got a dog i dont know

thats cos you have girly dogs
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 08:18 PM
OI we have two males how dare you forget about the boys! Mind you have never meet Mika..and not sure you have meet Kioti either actually at a show.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 08:35 PM
nope.. ive only ever met the girlies
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Kioti is Stars dad.. Mika is Kiotis half brother search them on the database.

Nisyros wild and wacky with Kojiki & Nisyros midnight cowboy
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Well, I'm going to put the cat amongst the pigeons !!

I think that if we all waited until the situation was perfect then nothing would ever happen. With a bit of personal effort you can work it out.

We are not dealing with a quick money making venture with a pet bitch here - we are talking about someone who has put in the ground work and deserves the rewarding experience.

My puppies are born in the living room and I sleep with them for the first 2 weeks. Once up on their feet, they move to the kitchen with the whelping box extended with a wire puppy pen, if needs be they never have to go outside. It's hard work but not impossible and I have a much larger breed.

My only concern is that the bitch needs to be able to go outside to relieve herself whilst the puppies are being born and whilst they are little - you could use puppy pen panels to section off a disinfected area for her to use outside.

The other things you need are someone who is prepared to give you advice - at least on the phone and someone who will do the odd puppy sitting shift for the first 2 weeks - Oh and also enough money put aside for if things go wrong.

Even I had to start by having my first litter...

Go for it !!

Thalice's Mum
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Things maybe able to be worked around for by someone that is experienced in breeding - but my feelings is at the age, and situation the time isnt right. If this was someone with a pet bitch I would say the same - so wouldnt change my opinion because the bitch has been shown.

My main concern would be whelping a bitch and raising puppies in the same room, with other dogs constantly around - with a possibly loud enviroment down stairs where other dogs may have one been.

CCs can be stressy dogs at the best of times. Let alone when pregant/in labour. All our CC's have perfect sound tempermants. But I know for a fact that being in a hectic enviroment at such a time would put them right over the edge, something we all know no pregant dog needs.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 01:38 AM
I think it depends what happens when you move in. If the bitch is totally settled & happy I'd say go for it. I whelped my last two litters in my bedroom. I used to sleep in the room set aside for whelping with the bitch but decided it was more comfortable if she slept with me. I only moved them out at about 4 weeks when they moved out to the leanto. Only moved them as my room was not big enough for me two dogs & a litter of 10. We all have to start somewhere. Just be honest with yourself about whether you feel the bitch is completely settled & comfortable before you decide.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Just my thoughts on this, I have cocker spaniels, average litter size 5-7 pups......the thought of 8 week old pups in my bedroom overnight is not a pleasant thought!!

You say 'mum to be' is good with other dogs, but she 'may' be completely different when she has pups.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 08:38 PM
thanks for all te replies. i honestly dont know what im doing, will see how it all pans out in the future. im desparate to have my own litter, but wont do it if the conditions arent right. will see how things turn out. could really do with my own place
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >